- 4 hrs ago Christmas 2022: How To Prepare Veg Paella (Spanish Style Vegetable Rice) Recipe
- 6 hrs ago Safest Ways To Sterilise Your Baby's Bottles
- 7 hrs ago Skincare Ingredients People With Sensitive Skin MUST Have!
- 8 hrs ago Vashisht Temple In Manali: Know About Architecture, History, Significance, And Timings
- Movies Sheer Veil To Deep V-Cut Blouse: Here’s How Hansika Aced Her D-Day Look
- News Gujarat Elections Phase 2 LIVE: 833 Candidates in fray for 93 seats
- Sports PKL 2022: Bengal Warriors' Shubham Shinde works as a ticket collector when not playing Kabaddi
- Finance 3 Stocks That Made Biggest Recovery From 52-Week Low With Jump Of Over 7000%
- Education CAT Answer Key: The objection window will be closing today; Check Details Here
- Automobiles 2023 BMW S 1000 RR Showcased At IBW 2022 – Launch On December 10
- Technology Oppo Find N2 Flip Digital Render Surfaces After A Leaked Video
- Travel Indian Dentist Set A World Record For The Fastest Travel On Foot From Leh To Manali, Read About Mahendra Mah
Nobody can possibly be immune to common cold. Did you know that some 200 viruses can cause cold; and the rhinovirus is the most widespread culprit among this.
This highly contagious viral infection affects the upper part of the respiratory system, which includes the nose and throat. It spreads mostly through coughing and sneezing.
Symptoms of common cold include sore throat, stuffy nose, swelling of the sinuses, sneezing, coughing, slight fever and frequent headaches.
The body also becomes weak, leading to decreased productivity and other problems. These symptoms can last between 2 and 14 days and most people fully recover within 10 days.
Measures to fight common cold include home remedies and other medications. But superfoods can also be used to fight this condition and prevent common cold.
Here, we have listed some of the best superfoods to cure cold. Read further to know more about the foods that help fight cold.
1. Green Tea:
This is loaded with disease-fighting antioxidants and it contains antiviral and antibacterial properties. It contains a group of antioxidants called catechins that have been shown to inhibit the activity of common cold.
Garlic is known for its antiviral and antibacterial properties. It has been used since ages to fight common cold. It contains allicin, which is a sulphuric compound that produces potent antioxidants and offers many medicinal benefits.
Oranges are full of vitamin C that helps fight different types of viral infections, including common cold. It is a powerful antioxidant which boosts the production of white blood cells that fight infections. This is one of the best superfoods to cure cold.
Blueberries contain a compound called quercetin that reduces the likelihood of getting cold. Blueberries are packed with various antioxidants and disease-fighting nutrients like vitamin C that can boost the immune system.
Mushrooms are used to fight common cold and other types of viral infections. It increases the production of cytokines that help fight off infections.
Yogurt boosts the immune system and helps your body naturally fight off infections like common cold. Yogurt contains live and active cultures that reduce the incidence of common cold and other viral infections.
Beef contains zinc that is important for the development of white blood cells that defend your body. The protein that you get from this superfood will help build antibodies and fight off infections.
8. Sweet Potato:
Sweet potato is a good source of vitamin A, which maintains the health of mucosal surfaces that include the inside of the nose and the gastrointestinal tract. This is one of the best superfoods to cure cold.
It contains high antioxidants and natural anti-inflammatory properties. If consumed every day, it is known to relieve the body off toxins and makes you less susceptible to cold and cough.
10. Dark Leafy Greens:
Dark leafy greens are also a great source of vitamin C. Consistently taking adequate amounts of vitamin C can reduce the duration of a cold.
11. Wild Salmon:
Wild salmon contains vitamin D that is a crucial nutrient for fighting off cold and flu. Research has shown that consumption of healthy levels of vitamin D is associated with fewer respiratory tract infections.
12. Chicken Soup:
Hot liquids like soup raise the temperature in your body and airways, loosening the mucus secretions. The high concentration of protein and vegetables in the soup also gives your body a good nourishment. This is one of the best superfoods to cure cold.
Ginger contains potent chemicals called sesquiterpenes that target stuffy nose and works to suppress cough. Consuming fresh ginger also inhibits the attachment of rhonoviruses to cells and also promotes the secretion of antiviral chemicals to fight viruses in the mucous membrane.
14. Brazil Nuts:
Brazil nuts are a good source of selenium that boosts the production of cytokines, a protein that supports the immune system. It helps the body fight bacteria and viruses that invade during cold and flu season.
15. Pumpkin Seeds:
Pumpkin seeds contain a good amount of zinc that reduces the duration of a cold and improves the immune system. It also contains antioxidants that help in fighting against cold.
It contains high amounts of phenolic acids and flavonoids that are also anti-inflammatory in nature. When eaten, organo can protect against common cold, influenza and fever.
17. Red Bell Peppers:
These are a good source of phytochemicals, beta-carotene and vitamin C that protect against common cold. This is one of the best kind of superfoods to cure cold.
Oysters contain high amounts of zinc that is very indispensable for the immune system. Zinc is important for identifying foreign antigens and alerting other cells of the immune system to invaders.
Milk is a vitamin D-rich food that helps in fighting cold. Studies have shown that people with low levels of vitamin D reported more instances of having cold than those who weren't vitamin D deficient.
Carrots contain vitamin A that is important in maintaining a strong immune system. When you have cold, try eating carrots.
Tea gives a soothing effect, especially when you're congested. Preparing a tea using natural expectorants like anise seeds along with garlic, cinnamon and honey will help in combating cold.
These are very rich in antioxidants. One apple has an antioxidant effect equivalent to 1500 mg of vitamin C. These are loaded with protective flavonoids that fight against cold and flu.
- kidsTomato Fever Reported In Kerala: Know Causes, Symptoms, Treatment And Prevention
- wellnessExpert Article: COVID, Flu And Flurona - What To Expect In Australia As Winter Approaches
- healthModerna Plans To Launch A Combined Booster Shot Of COVID-19-Flu-RSV By Late 2023: Things To Know
- wellnessAncient Ayurvedic Classics Narrate Medical Condition Similar To COVID-19 Infection
- wellnessInternational Yoga Day 2022: Effective Yoga Asanas And Poses For Cold And Flu
- disorders cureEverything You Need To Know About The Common Cold And Flu
- wellnessBlackberries, Onions, Red Wine: Flavonoid-Rich Foods To Combat Flu And Common Cold
- disorders cureWhy People With Asthma Are At Increased Risk Of Flu
- wellnessCan Broccoli Help Fight Flu And Common Cold Symptoms?
- wellnessFlu Season Is Here: Some Tips For Managing Fever And Pain
- wellness12 Common Health Mistakes To Avoid During Winters
- wellness15 Best Foods To Eat When You Have Stomach Flu