- 2 hrs ago Princess Diana’s 10 Most Iconic Fashion Moments Of All Time
- 2 hrs ago It's Raining Discounts! Upto 70% Off On Exclusive Cookware Items From Premium Brands
- 3 hrs ago Samantha Ruth Prabhu Fitness: 6 Quick Tips You Need To Learn From The Pan-India Star
- 4 hrs ago Its Play Time! Get Upto 70% Off On Toys On Amazon That Are Educational And Fun
- News Shashi Tharoor to receive France's highest civilian award, party leaders congratulate him
- Education SWAYAM 2022: Last Day To Register Is Tomorrow, Hurry up Apply Here
- Sports Rishabh Pant named Uttarakhand’s brand ambassador
- Finance Buy This Miniratna PSU Stock For Target Price Of Rs 46, Gains Up to 36%: ICICI Securities
- Technology OnePlus 10T’s 16GB RAM Variant’s First Sale Scheduled For This Date; Price & Specs
- Movies Tiger Shroff And Disha Patani Are Still Very Much Together, The Rumoured Break Up Never Happened - Reports
- Travel The Breadknife: Australia's Prime Attraction
- Automobiles Tata Punch Reaches 1 Lakh Sales Milestone - New Benchmark Set
Yoga, the ancient practise for mind, and body harmony is an amalgam of breathing exercises, meditation and poses that direct your body and mind towards relaxation. From improving your physical health to your mental health, practising yoga is undoubtedly good for your overall health.
Regular yoga practice can help reduce lower back pain, arthritis, headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome, lower blood pressure and reduce insomnia . In addition, some of the major benefits of regularly practising yoga are increased flexibility, increased muscle strength and tone, improved respiration, energy and vitality, balanced metabolism, weight reduction, cardiovascular and circulatory health, improved athletic performance etc.
Besides the physical benefits, yoga also has several mental benefits, such as creating mental clarity and calmness and increasing body awareness .
Common Yoga Mistakes And How To Avoid Them
The practice of yoga is peaceful and refreshing for the body. Like any exercise, you can take steps before, during, and after a class to ensure you have a positive experience.
Here are the most common yoga mistakes you could be making and how to fix them.
1. Eating before class
There is no doubt that yoga is better without a full belly! Of course, you don't have to have an empty stomach but avoid eating a big meal. Instead, eat light and healthy, like a salad or a green smoothie .
2. Rushing it
The goal of yoga is to be mindful and focused on breathing and other exercises. Do not hurry through the class, but rather enjoy it and allow it to be a mind-body connection.
3. Not using yoga props
Yoga props got a bad rap for some reason. It is widely believed that using a yoga block or yoga strap is not a sign that you are a 'good yogi.' Not at all - practising yogis love to use props because it helps them explore their bodies and go deeper into poses.
4. Forgetting about your breath
Keeping your breath in check keeps you safe. Observe how your breath reacts to your movements. If your breathing becomes strained, you are pushing yourself too hard. So long as you can breathe naturally and easily while you are practising the poses, chances are you are not overdoing it .
5. Pushing too hard
Pushing yourself too hard in yoga can have negative effects. The beauty of yoga is that you can go at your own pace. Every pose can be modified - for example, if you don't need to do something like vasisthasana (a side plank), you can release your bottom knee as an alternative. Despite your level of energy, you can still practice yoga - just adapt it to your energy level .
6. Pushing yourself too quickly
The desire to progress during your yoga practice is natural. So, when you find a boundary, you should gently approach it but not push it because if you push your body too much, you can scare it, and your body will react by protecting itself and the boundary. In essence, this means it will tighten up more, and the boundary will be further away next time. As a result, you are likely to become less flexible and tight and at risk of becoming injured. In addition, pushing yourself regularly can lead to injury after a few years, and healing will be more difficult .
7. Skipping the warm-up
In warming up, you introduce the body gently to what you want it to do. There are different ways to warm up - by engaging in specific warming up exercises and increasing circulation to bring heat to the body. Alternatively, you could warm up by doing the more basic poses first and gradually building up to the more advanced poses. Preparing the body minimizes the chances of overstretching.
8. Skipping the cool down/relaxation (Shavasana)
After a class, you should take the opportunity to balance what you have achieved. We soften what has been strengthened through counterposes, bring stability back to an area we have loosened, etc. This is the part of the class where you absorb the benefits .
9. Forgetting to clean your mat
Though you might be exhausted, spare a few minutes to clean your mat with a natural cleaner. In yoga studios, which are full of sweat and bacteria, we put our hands and feet on our mats, which applies to at-home yoga practice as well .
10. Looking at the screen suddenly
Gyms and public classes are closed, so people have been taking online classes, including yoga. Don't suddenly stop in the middle of an asana and stretch your neck or head towards the screen when you have the laptop in front of you on the floor and are following the oral instructions, as this may result in a strain or a sprain.
11. Wearing clothes that are too tight/too loose
In yoga, the movements are meant to be free-flowing, so anything that is figure-hugging or too loose will restrict them. Choose something that fits well but isn't too tight.
On A Final Note...
Yoga is a calm and relaxing exercise that can not only bring internal peace but also improve your physical wellness. Keep in mind to not rush it, engage consciously and let your mind and soul benefit from it.
- zodiac signsBest Yoga Poses For 12 Zodiac Signs
- diet fitnessDeepika Padukone's Fitness Routine: A Mix Of Yoga, Pilates And Concentrated Workouts
- diet fitnessYoga For Strength, Flexibility And Mental Peace: All In 15 Minutes!
- wellnessCan Exercise Keep Your Brain Young? Which Exercises Can Prevent Cognitive Decline?
- faith mysticismInternational Day Of Yoga 2022: Swami Avdheshanandji Leads Josh MASH Yoga Day Campaign
- diet fitnessInternational Day Of Yoga: From Delhi To Beijing, Thousands Begin Their Day With Yoga
- wellnessInternational Yoga Day 2022: What To Do Before And After Yoga Practice
- diet fitnessInternational Day Of Yoga 2022: What is Yoga Nidra? Benefits And How To Perform
- skin careInternational Yoga Day 2022: Beauty Benefits Of Yoga And Yogasanas You Should Try
- wellnessInternational Yoga Day 2022: How To Do Yoga At Home?
- yoga spiritualityInternational Yoga Day 2022 Highlights: Yoga Is A Way Of Life, Says PM Narendra Modi
- diet fitnessInternational Day of Yoga 2022: Safe And Effective Yoga Poses For Thyroid Problems