- 2 hrs ago Jwalamukhi Yoga 2022: Dos And Don’ts That You Need To Be Aware Of
- 4 hrs ago When Lord Rama Met Shabri: Know About The Nine Levels Of Hindu Devotion
- 6 hrs ago Weekly Horoscope, 27 November To 03 December 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- 8 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 27 November 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- Sports Lack of all-rounders: Wasim Jaffers reveals the real reason why Sanju Samson gets left out frequently
- News Counter-terrorism, reformed multilateralism key priorities for India during its UNSC presidency
- Automobiles Winter Car Care & Check List – Here’s Everything You Need To Know
- Movies Bhediya BO Day 2: Drishyam 2 Effect Continues As Varun Dhawan’s Horror Comedy Slight Growth; Earns Rs 9.50 cr
- Finance Geojit Recommends Accumulate This Multibagger Mid Cap Stock For Robust Gains, Target Price Rs 634
- Technology Xiaomi 13 With Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Tipped To Launch On December 1
- Travel Roraima Tepui Trek - Wild, Offbeat and Trail-worthy
- Education BPSC 67th Mains Exam 2022: Exam Schedule Announced At bpsc.bih.nic.in, Check Application Fee & Schedule Here
Yes, I did write streetlights in the title, and yes, I will tell you how streetlights and diabetes are linked. As surprising as it may come, a recent study has found some link between the two, suggesting that streetlights may increase diabetes risk .
The Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine in China found a correlation between outdoor artificial light at night (LAN) exposure and diabetes risk. It was recently published in Diabetologia, the European Association for the Study of Diabetes journal.
What Is The Relationship Between Diabetes And Streetlights?
In past research, light pollution from artificial local area networks has been shown to impact human health negatively. For example, several studies have linked artificial LAN exposure to sleeping disorders, mood and anxiety disorders, and obesity. Several studies have also indicated that artificial LANs may increase the risk of certain cancers .
The LAN refers  to the amount of light seen outside of businesses at night from lighted signs, streetlights, parking lot lights, vehicle headlights, lights outside of homes, etc.
In larger urban areas, there is greater light pollution and sky glow due to this light bouncing into the night sky.
Here is how the researchers linked diabetes and LAN:
Point 1: The lead author of this study indicates that the team decided to study the effects of artificial LAN because the prevalence of diabetes in China has increased continuously over the past few decades.
Point 2: Environmental risk factors and their impact on cardiometabolic diseases have recently received increased attention, allowing for identifying unconventional and novel risk factors of diabetes .
Point 3: According to analysis, people exposed to the highest levels of artificial LANs have a 28 per cent increased risk of developing diabetes compared to those exposed to the lowest levels of artificial LANs.
Point 4: A higher BMI was also observed in people in higher exposure groups. In contrast, a higher level of physical activity was observed in those in lower exposure groups.
Point 5: According to the study, prolonged exposure to LAN could alter the profile of hormones such as corticosterone and melatonin. As well as altering clock gene expression in the hypothalamus and peripheral organs. LAN exposure could also affect gene expression in peripheral organs. Physiological changes may result in disturbances in glucose metabolism, increasing the risk of developing diabetes.
On A Final Note...
A significant number of associations and areas for further investigation have been identified in this study, which could provide the basis for another focus of intervention in preventing diabetes by modifying risk factors.
In modern societies where night-time light exposure is common both indoors and outdoors, the effects of light exposure at night on diabetes may be significant. Therefore, inventions can be developed to reduce LAN exposure in order to prevent diabetes if a causal relationship between light at night and diabetes is established.
- diabetesExclusive: Expert Explains How Diabetes And Varicose Veins Are Closely Linked, Risk Factors, And Treatments
- diabetesUS FDA Approves Groundbreaking Drug For Type 1 Diabetes
- diabetesWorld Diabetes Day 2022: Expert Article On Best Diet To Overcome Diabetes
- oral careExpert Article: Diabetes And Oral Health; How Does Diabetes Affect Our Mouths?
- diabetesSafe And Effective Plant Leaves For Diabetics
- recipesFather’s Day Special Recipe: How To Prepare Low-Calorie Brownies For Diabetic Fathers
- diabetesAmid Rise In Covid Cases, ICMR Issues Guidelines For Management Of Type 1 Diabetes
- nutritionWhat Is Glucose And Why Is It Important For The Body?
- diabetesHepatitis Awareness Month 2022: What Is The Link Between Diabetes And Hepatitis?
- diabetesDiabetes Almost Doubles The Risk Of Death From Covid-19: Study
- recipesHealthy Breakfast For Diabetic Moms: How To Prepare Drumstick Leaves Ragi Chapati
- wellnessIIT-Mandi Team Discovers Molecule That Can Be Used For The Treatment Of Diabetes