Rajma Makhani is a special Punjabi recipe that is different from the usual rajma recipes. Normally, rajma is prepared like any other Indian curry. It is soaked overnight and cooked with lots of spices, but the Rajma recipe is essentially the same. Rajma Makhani is a unique dish in that regard. This rajma recipe is prepared with a combination of red kidney beans and toor dal.
As you understand from the name Rajma 'Makhani', butter has a huge role to play in the making of this Indian curry. Rajma and toor dal are both cooked separately and then blended in a buttery sauce of onions and other spices.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Rajma or red kidney beans- 1 cup (soaked overnight)
- Toor dal- 2/3 cup (soaked for an hour)
- Butter- 50 grams
- Bay leaf- 1
- Onions- 2 (sliced)
- Green chillies- 3 (slit)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1tbsp
- Tomato- 1 (chopped)
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Cumin powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Milk- 1 cup
- Fresh cream- 1tbsp
1. Pressure cook rajma and toor dal separately.
2. The rajma would need about 3-4 whistles to cook depending on the time you have soaked it.
3. Toor dal will cook in the duration of 2 whistles.
4. Drain any excess water and keep the boiled pulses aside. You need to mash the boiled toor dal with a spoon.
5. Take a pan over medium heat and let the butter melt in it. Season it with a bay leaf and green chillies.
6. Then saute the onions in the butter until they turn golden brown. Then add ginger garlic paste and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the chopped tomato and season with salt so that the tomato melts quickly.
8. Add all the powdered spices, namely, red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
9. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Then pour the boiled pulses, both rajma and toor dal into the pan.
10. Add 1 cup water and stir slowly. Let the mixture bubble and reduce by half in another 5 minutes.
11. Then add milk and continue to simmer the gravy on low flame.
12. Milk will give Rajma Makhani its rich and luxuriant texture.
13. Remove it from flame after cooking for another 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cream and coriander leaves.
Rajma Makhani is a delicious mix of pulses with aromatic spices. You can serve it with rice or hot phulkas.