There is just a week remaining for us to celebrate the most joyous festival, 'Ganesh Chaturthi'. Yes, this special festival is celebrated across our nation, in fact around the entire globe.
The main attraction of the festival is the Ganesh idol and the sweets that are offered to the lord. Apart from the ladoo, one of the important sweet recipes that can be prepared for Ganesh Chathurti is puran poli.
You may know how to prepare the puran poli sweet recipe. But here's an easy method to prepare the delicacy.
In South India, this recipe is popularly known as sakare holige. This holige recipe is very different from the usual puran poli recipes. It tastes best when it is served with ghee or badam milk.
So, here is the tasty sugar puran poli recipe that you can prepare for Ganesh Chaturthi.
Serves - 8
Cooking time - 1/2 an hour
Preparation time - 2 hours (approximately)
Sugar - 3 cups
Fine rava (sooji rava) - 2 and a 1/2 cups
Grated Coconut - 5 to 6 cups
Maida - 1 and a 1/2 cup
Poppy seeds - 2 teaspoons
Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon
- Take a bowl, add rava, maida and oil. Mix all the ingredients well. Make it into a dough, like the one you would make for chapatis. Keep it aside for about 2 hours.
- (Note that there should be more oil when you prepare this dough)
- Fry the poppy seeds and then transfer them into the mixy jar, along with sugar, grated coconut and cardamom.
- Grind it well to make it into a fine powder.
- Take the ground mixture and make small round balls with it.
- Now, take a portion from the dough (as you would make rotis or chapatis)
- Place it on your palm and then place the small round ground coconut mixture on it and cover the dough from all sides.
- Then, take a plastic-coated sheet or a round banana leaf and spread oil onto it.
- Place the stuffed dough on the sheet or the banana leaf and tap this using your palm (like how you'd make rotis)
- Meanwhile, heat the pan, and then gently transfer the holige on to the pan and roast it on both the sides with ghee, until it turns reddish brown in colour.
- Transfer this on to the plate and serve it hot.
Offer this special sakkare holige or puran poli to Lord Ganesha and then distribute it among your family members and friends.
Prepare this sweet puran poli recipe and let us know your feedback.