Skin bleaching is a parlour or home-based treatment that results in an instant glow on the skin fading out all kinds of skin marks and spots along with facial hair.
Skin bleaching is also called skin whitening or skin lightening process, where the aim is to obtain an uniform skin colour, so that it can have an even exposure.
Today, we shall look into all the possible facts associated with skin bleaching that you must note before you start doing this on yourself.
How To Do Skin Bleaching?
There are two ways of doing skin bleaching - a) with a skin bleaching cream or b) naturally.
On doing skin bleaching at home or a parlour, you have to use a skin bleaching cream. A skin bleaching cream kit consists of a skin bleaching cream and activated powder, which has to be mixed before its application on the skin.
The results of skin bleaching cream are instant and fast. If you count on skin bleaching naturally, then the process is time consuming. However, this method comes with less scope of skin reactions.
How Does The Skin Bleaching Cream Work?
Skin bleaching creams work due to the presence of their one ingredient called hydroquinone. The portion of hydroquinone in skin bleaching creams can vary between 2% and 5%. Hydroquinone inhibits the production of melanin and makes it appear lighter.
How To Use A Skin Bleaching Cream?
Skin bleaching creams come in a pack of two that has a cream and the powder. A few packs also include a small spatula.
- Using the spatula, first mix the cream and powder to make it ready for your skin.
- Apply this on your face evenly, using the spatula. Do not apply a bleach cream around your mouth or eyes.
- Once the application of the bleach cream is complete, wait for 15 minutes (those with fair complexion) and 10 minutes for those with dusky skin.
- Use a tissue to wipe off the bleach cream from your face and skin.
- Then, wash off using a gentle cleanser.
How To Bleach Your Skin Naturally?
If you are aiming at naturally bleaching your skin, then you can try the following methods:
- Sandalwood powder
- Licorice juice
Important Points To Note About Skin Bleaching
- Natural skin bleaching is always recommended than using skin bleach creams.
- When using skin bleach creams, first go for a skin patch test and then continue using it if there is no reaction.
- Natural skin bleaching methods take time to show results on the skin but have less scope of skin reactions.
- After skin bleaching using a cream, do not expose your skin to the sun for two hours atleast. Thus, skin bleaching is recommended during evening or bedtime.
- If you are going for a skin bleaching cream, do not use it for more than once in a month.
- It's often belived that skin bleaching creams remove the skin hair, which is wrong. It just fades the colour of the skin hair, making it less visible.
- Skin bleach creams can be applied all over the body (if it suits you). However, body parts where you should avoid using it are around the eyes, lips and the private body parts.
- Two common side effects of skin bleaching cream include dark circles and thinner facial skin.
- One of the advantages is, it is economical than natural skin bleaching methods.
Many skin bleaching creams that contain mercury are advised by dermatologists not to be used for a long period of time. Mercury can cause poisoning by accumulating in the cells of the face and body, leading to adverse health issues.
It is best to use the bleach cream in the evening. So that you can sleep after applying it and your skin is prevented from the direct sun contact for the next 7-8 hours.
For dark skin colour, never leave the bleach cream on for more than 10-12 minutes, else the facial hair might turn too light and become more visible against the dark skin tone.