The weather nowadays is completely relentless. The cold and dry winds cause havoc to our skin and hair. But our skin remains the biggest sufferer. It becomes dry, flaky and itchy. It becomes extremely dry and even the most potent of moisturizers may not be able to bring it back to normal.
Dry skin is a condition where there is less moisture present in the outer most layer of the skin. Although it is more common in older people, it is slowly affecting the younger lot as well, due to factors like unseasonal winds and pollution.
Other factors like artificial air-conditioning and not drinking enough water can also lead to dry skin. But the condition aggravates during winter months.
Lots of people may be experiencing the same problems. At this time, our skin needs a lot of TLC. Lotions and moisturizers may provide only temporary relief. If you want to get rid of the problem permanently, you may find some relief in natural remedies.
One of the most potent natural remedies for treating dry skin is oatmeal. It may be surprising to many as it is mostly used for scrubbing, which is not recommended for dry skin as it may cause further drying.
But that is a wrong assumption. Oatmeal contains moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and soothing properties. It also contains a number of active ingredients which are beneficial for skin care.
It works by binding to the skin and protecting it from irritants. It also contains polysaccharides which have moisture holding properties. The emollient content in oatmeal prevents itching. Who knew the humble oatmeal could do so much more.....
Below are a few ways to include oatmeal in you beauty regime for dry skin.
1) Moisturizing Oatmeal Cream
This is a recipe of homemade oatmeal cream which works as a great and long-lasting moisturizer.
-1/2 cup oats
-3/4th cup coconut oil
-5 drops of lavender essential oil
1) Grind the oats into a fine powder.
2) Heat the coconut oil.
3) When it is completely in liquid form, bring it off the heat and add the oatmeal powder.
4) Keep stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps.
5) Add the drops of essential oil.
6) Store it in a clean jar and use it as a regular cream.
2) Oatmeal And Banana Mask
Bananas are great moisturizers and combining them with oatmeal will do wonders for your skin.
-1 cup oatmeal
-1 ripe banana
-2 tablespoon lukewarm milk
1) Grind the oatmeal into a fine powder.
2) Mash the banana and add to the oatmeal.
3) Combine the mixture with lukewarm milk and apply onto the dry area.
4) Wait for it to work for 15-20 minutes.
3) Oatmeal And Honey Pack
Honey has natural humectant properties which will moisturize extremely dry skin.
-1/2 cup oatmeal powder
-1 cup milk
-1 teaspoon honey
1) Mix the oatmeal powder in the milk.
2) Leave it for 2 minutes.
3) Mix the honey into the mixture and apply onto the dry area.
4) Refreshing Oatmeal Bath
Pamper yourself to a refreshing oatmeal bath which will rejuvenate and moisturize your skin.
-1 cup milk
-2 cups oatmeal powder
-1 tablespoon honey
1) Fill your bath with water. Remember to always use lukewarm water as hot water will strip your skin of its essential oils and make it dry.
2) Add the above ingredients in the bath water and soak for 15-20 minutes.