Vegetarians have a constant complain that their choices of dishes are very limited. This fancy Indian eggplant recipe should bring a smile on the face of all vegans. Achari Baingan is a special Punjabi recipe that will satisfy your taste buds. Achari baigan literally translates to pickled eggplant or brinjal. However, Achari Baingan is not prepared using real pickles.
An assortment of curd, cream and dry spices goes into the
preparation of this Indian eggplant recipe. The basic premise of
this dish is stuffed eggplants that is cooked in a thick and spicy
gravy. For preparing the stuffed eggplants, it is best to use the
small variety of eggplant or brinjal. If you cannot find it, then
cut the big one into cubes. Being a traditional Indian eggplant
recipe, Achari Baingan is very spicy so be prepared for the
Marination Time: 10 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients For Marinade:
- Ginger garlic paste- 2tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Chaat masala- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
Ingredients For Gravy
- Eggplant or brinjal- 10 (small)
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Onion seeds (kalongi)- 1/2tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi)- 1/2tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf)- 1/2tsp
- Asfoetida (hing)- 1/2tsp
- Onions- 2 (sliced)
- Tomato- 1 (chopped)
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Cumin powder- 1tsp
- Garam Masala powder- 1/2tsp
- Dry mango powder (amchoor)- 1tsp
- Curd- 1/2 cup
- Fresh cream- 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 1/2 cup (chopped)
1. Make small incisions into the eggplant and marinate it with all the marinade ingredients for ten minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the eggplant in it till it becomes crisp.
3. Strain the deep fried eggplants and keep aside. Season the remaining oil with fennel seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onion seeds, fenugreek seeds and asfoetida.
4. Saute the onions in the oil till they turn golden. Add the chopped tomatoes and sprinkle salt on it.
5. Cook on low flame till the tomatoes melt into a pulp (about 3-4 minutes).
6. Now add all the powdered spices like red chilli, turmeric, cumin, garam masala and dry mango powder. Fry the spices for 1-2 minutes.
7. Then stir in the curd. Cook for 1-2 minutes on low flame. If the gravy looks very dry, you can add little more curd or a few spoons of water.
8. Now add the fried eggplants to the gravy, garnish with coriander leaves and cover with a lid.
9. Cook for 3-4 minutes so that the eggplant absorbs the spices. Now, put the pan off flame.
Add some fresh cream from the top and serve Achari Baingan with hot rotis.