- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 23 January 2020
- 11 hrs ago Can You Get Pregnant While On Birth Control Pills?
- 12 hrs ago 11 Health Benefits Of Doing Pushups Daily
- 13 hrs ago Did You Know These Benefits of Drinking Green Tea Before Bed
- News Democracy Index 2019: India slips 10 points to 51st Rank due to 'Erosion of civil Liberties'
- Technology Xiaomi Mi Motion Activated Night Light 2 Launched At Rs. 599 In India
- Movies Ala Vaikunthapuramloo Day 11 Worldwide Box Office: Film Maintains A Winning Streak
- Sports Tottenham 2-1 Norwich City: Son to the rescue as Mourinho's men fail to impress
- Finance Budget 2020: Govt May Tweak 5% Tax Slab To Include Upto Rs 7 Lakh Income
- Automobiles MG ZS Electric SUV Registers 2,800 Units In Bookings Within 27 Days Of Unveil
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Swami Vivekananda said that 'one of the greatest lessons' he learnt in life was 'to pay as much attention to the means of work as to its end.'
He added:"I have been always learning great lessons from that one principle, and it appears to me that all the secret of success is there: to pay as much attention to the means as to the end"
Why is it that success eludes us often? Swamiji (Swami Vivekananda) explains:
"Our great defect in life is that we are so much drawn to the ideal, the goal is so much more enchanting, so much more alluring, so much bigger in our mental horizon, that we lose sight of the details altogether.''
Analyse your failure critically, Swamiji (Swami Vivekananda) says, and you will find that it was because you did not pay attention to the means"
He continues: "Proper attention to the finishing, strengthening, of the means is what we need. With the means all right, the end must come"
We forget that it is the cause that produces the effect; the effect cannot come by itself; and unless the causes are exact, proper, and powerful the effect will not be produced. Once the ideal is chosen and the means determined, we may almost let go the ideal, because we are sure it will be there when the means are perfected. When the cause is there, there is no more difficulty about the effect, the effect is bound to come. If we take care of the cause, the effect will take care of itself. The realization of the ideal is the effect. The means are the cause: attention to the means, therefore, is the one secret of life.
Those who aspire for spiritual freedom without first achieving the 'lower' freedoms described earlier, are like the convict who has plans ready to get out of the jail without having the least idea of how to free his hands and feet from the chains that bind him.
About the author
Swami Tyagananda Swami Tyagananda in this write up which is an excerpt from 'Degrees of Freedom' points out the
Spiritual Freedomcan be sought only by attaining the other lower forms of freedom like freedom from body, freedom from mind and freedom from intellect.
Swami Tyagananda in this write up which is an excerpt from 'Degrees of Freedom' points out the Spiritual Freedomcan be sought only by attaining the other lower forms of freedom like freedom from body, freedom from mind and freedom from intellect.