TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- NIA Officially Takes Over Probe Into Pulwama Terror Attack
- Schalke 2 Manchester City 3 — 10-Man Visitors Strike Late Through Sane & Sterling
- Tata 45X’s Teaser Video Out — Production-Spec Tata 45X To Be Unveiled At Geneva Motor Show
- Cobrapost Sting Operation: Sunny Leone & Sonu Sood Deny All The Allegations!
- Vivo V15 Pro Launched At Rs 28,990 — The Good, Bad & The X factor
- Nutrition: Blood & Marrow Transplant
- Best Places To Visit In India In March: A 2019 Must-visit Checklist
- Company Fixed Deposits In India Which Offer Yields Of Near 10%
The entire Karthika Masam is an auspicious period when Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu are worshipped. Various festivals including Diwali, Dussehra, Narak Chaturdashi, etc.
make the month an auspicious one. The occurrence of some other festivals adds to the benefits that we can retrieve by offering prayers to these deities on these special days. Ksheerabdi Dwadashi is one such day.
What Is Ksheerabdi Dwadashi
Ksheerabdi Dwadashi is also known by various other names including Tulasi Damodar Dwadashi, Chilku Dwadashi, Chukkala Dwadashi Yogeshwari Dwadashi and Yogini Dwadashi. A Hindu festival, it is celebrated mainly in the states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. This festival is associated mainly with Karthika Masam Shukla Ekadashi. On Shukla Ekadashi, Lord Vishnu awakes from his four-month-long sleep. This period of four months is known as Chaturmasa and is considered to be inauspicious for all forms of religious activities.
Lord Vishnu Visits The Earth
Ksheerabdi Dwadashi is the day when it is said that Lord Vishnu visits Vrindavan. Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Brahma also accompany him there. The fast that is observed on the Ekadashi the previous day, also ends on this day. The parana this year can be performed from 6:52 pm to 8:58 pm on 20 November.
Goddess Lakshmi Appeared From Ksheer Sagar
Ksheerabdi also comes from the word Ksheer Sagar, the ocean of milk, which the gods were asked to churn along with the demons. It was so done as Goddess Lakshmi had once left the abode of Lord Vishnu and hence prosperity also seemed to leave the abode. She would only return as the daughter of the ocean when the milk of the ocean would be churned. It is believed that the Goddess had appeared from the ocean on the day of Ksheerabdi Dwadashi.
Prayers Are Offered To Goddess Lakshmi, Tulsi And Amla Plants
Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped using coins on this day. It is said that she had married Lord Vishnu after appearing from the Ksheer Sagar on Dwadashi. Since Tulsi Vivah is performed on Ekadashi, a Puja of the plant is also done on this day. Some people also offer prayers to an Amla plant to please Lord Vishnu on Ksheerabdi Dwadashi.