- 1 min ago Did You Know That The Way You Sit Can Impact Your Health?
- 16 min ago Menstrual Hygiene Day 2020: How To Chart Your Menstrual Cycle
- 46 min ago From Heropanti To Luka Chuppi To Panipat, Kriti Sanon’s Distinctive Movie Fashion Decoded
- 1 hr ago What Is Earwax Buildup and Blockage? Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Treatments And Prevention
- Movies Rishi Kapoor's Priceless Moments With Family: Daughter Riddhima Shares Unseen Pictures
- News Nearly 23 lakh people in quarantine across India: Govt estimates
- Sports Virat Kohli has the best footwork, he brilliantly uses the crease: Priyam Garg
- Technology Oppo Reno 4 Series Bags TENNA Certification; Key Features Tipped
- Automobiles Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooters Pan India Launch Delayed Due To Covid-19 Pandemic
- Finance Bata Joins Brands To Use WhatsApp To Push Sales
- Travel 12 Best Places To Visit In South India In June
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
Jagadhatri is a form of Goddess Durga who is worshipped mainly in West Bengal and the surrounding areas. The name ' Jagadhatri' literally means the one who holds the world or universe. So, it is believed that Goddess Jagadhatri is the one who is holding this universe in Her hands.
Jagadhatri is the Goddess of the tantras. She is depicted as a three-eyed Goddess who has four arms and rides a lion. In each of Her hands She holds a conch, a bow, and arrow and a chakra. She is clothed in red coloured saree and decked up with bright jewels. She stands on a dead demon called Karindrasura who is depicted as an elephant.
Let us have a look at the story and significance of Jagadhatri puja.
Story of Goddess Jagadhatri
As per the legends, after Goddess Durga killed Mahishasura, the Gods started believing that because they lent their powers to the Goddess She was able to vanquish the demon. This thought filled them with arrogance.
To vanquish this arrogance, Brahma appeared before them in form of a Yaksha. He kept a blade of grass in front of the Gods and challenged them to destroy it. The Fire God, Agni could not burn it, the God of Air, Vayu could not move it in spite of all His great powers. So, the realization dawned on them that their powers are derived from the ultimate source of power, Shakti. She is the supreme Goddess and the source of all powers. She holds the universe together with Her immense powers and thus Jagadhatri came to be worshipped.
Any person who worships Goddess Jagadhatri with devotion becomes completely ego-less. She blesses Her devotees with great powers and fearlessness. Jagadhatri standing over the elephant demon indicates that to control our mind which is frantic like a elephant, we have to assume the powers of Goddess Jagadhatri.
Jagadhatri puja is celebrated all over West Bengal with great enthusiasm especially in Chandannagore and the allied areas. Huge idols of the Devi are put up throughout the region and the festival lasts almost for a week.