Sweet muffins we have all heard about but savoury muffin is the new trend. These muffins combines taste and health in small package. These muffins can be made easily at home with quinoa and apricot. Incase you don't have apricot you can swap it with walnuts as well. They are really tasty and definitely make a good option for high teas and coffees.
Recipe By: Pooja Gupta
Recipe Type: Snacks
Quinoa - 1 cup
Finely chopped dried apricot - 1 ½ cup
Tub Quark - 2 cups
Large eggs - 3
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Rapeseed oil - 2 tbsp
Grated apples - 2 small
Zest and orange juice - 1 small
Pumpkin seed, plus a bit extra - ½ cup
Wholemeal plain flour - ½ cup
Ground almond - 3 tbsp
Chia seeds - 2 tbsp
Wheatgerm - less than half cup
Baking powder - 1½ tsp
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Tip the quinoa and apricots into a small pan with 300ml water.
3. Bring water to the boil, then turn the heat right down, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.
4. Check frequently that it doesn't boil dry.
5. Meanwhile, beat the quark with the eggs, extract, oil, apples, and orange zest and juice.
6. Stir in the cooled quinoa mixture, then fold in the pumpkin seeds, flour, ground almonds, chia seeds, wheatgerm and baking powder.
7. Spoon into the muffin cases, scatter with a few pumpkin seeds and bake for 20 minutes.
- 1. You can also add almond meal in the muffin batter to enhance the taste.
- Serving Size - 1 muffin
- Calories - 164
- Fat - 8g
- Protein - 9g
- Carbohydrates - 13g
- Sugar - 7g
- Dietary Fiber - 3g