Have you heard of glucose challenge test? Generally, it is recommended to undergo a glucose screen test during pregnancy. It is done between the 25th and 28th week.
The main objective of the test is to check whether the pregnant woman is suffering from gestational diabetes which is a condition that raises blood glucose levels.
Also Read: The Major Cause Of Gestational Diabetes
Almost 3-5% of pregnant women tend to develop this condition. Generally, certain hormonal changes and eating unhealthy foods can raise the risk of gestational diabetes. Here are some facts.
Routine Urine Test
If a urine test during the initial stages of pregnancy shows high sugar levels then the glucose challenge test is done before the 24th week itself.
What If One Is Diabetic?
Women who have diabetes even before pregnancy need not take the glucose challenge test. Instead, they need to take precautions to ensure that the pregnancy is safe.
Also Read: Diabetes During Pregnancy
How Is The Test Done?
Generally, a sugar solution is offered. It contains 50grams of sugar. After drinking, the pregnant woman needs to wait for an hour and then undergo the glucose challenge test. This way, the body's ability to process sugar will be tested.
Is The Test Necessary?
Nowadays, almost all pregnant women are undergoing this test in order to rule out the chances of gestational diabetes.
This Test Is A Must For...
Women whose BMI is high, women who get pregnant after 35 and women who have diabetes in their family history need to go for the glucose test without fail.
Also Read: Facts About Gestational Diabetes
Why Diagnose Gestational Diabetes?
Diabetes during pregnancy could raise the risk of labour complications, birth defects and certain other problems. Diagnosing the problem could help you take certain precautions to make the pregnancy safer.
- Natural Ways To Induce Labor At Home
- How Kareena Kapoor Lost Her Weight After Pregnancy?
- What Moms-to-be Think In Their Last Month Of Pregnancy
- Everything You Should Know About Breastfeeding While Pregnant
- Nose Bleeding During Pregnancy – Causes And Remedies
- Signs That Your Body Is Ready For Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Risks By Age Chart
- Is It Possible To Get A False Positive Pregnancy Test Result ?
- How To Treat Fungal Infection During Pregnancy
- What are the causes of gestational diabetes?
- Is It Normal For Breasts To Leak During Pregnancy?
- Bleeding And Spotting During Pregnancy: What's Normal, What's Not