Subscribe to Boldsky
Causes of leg pain during pregnancy:
- Pressure on the legs is more when the woman starts putting on weight. This is why at night when the muscles relax, leg cramps are unbearable.
- The uterus expands during pregnancy, thus blocking few leg nerves and muscles. Due to lack of blood flow in the leg muscles, cramps are felt.
- Lack of nutrients especially deficiency in magnesium, calcium and potassium also causes leg pain during pregnancy.
- High levels of phosphorous found in snacks, soda and meat can cause leg cramps during pregnancy.
How to cure leg pain during pregnancy?
- Stretching is an effective exercise to cure leg pain during pregnancy. Stretch the leg and calf muscles in the morning and before going to bed.
- keep legs in warm water for 20-30 minutes before going to bed. This relaxes the leg muscles and reduces pain.
- Avoid sitting with legs crossed for a long time. It is best to change sitting positions when you start feeling mild pain in the legs.
- Rotate the ankles when sitting with legs crossed. This is an effective way to cure leg pain during pregnancy.
- Take a short walk everyday. It is healthy for both the mother and baby. Walking reduces leg pain and strengthens the leg muscles.
- Drink plenty of fluids and have nutritious food such as green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits everyday.
Leg pain during pregnancy is not a serious issue. Have a healthy diet and do stretching exercise when you get leg cramps.