- 5 hrs ago Ashadha Gupt Navratri 2022 Day 1: Date, Time, Rituals, Significance, And Puja Mantras
- 6 hrs ago Plastic Ban From 1 July: 14 Eco-Friendly Alternatives For Everyday Plastics
- 9 hrs ago 6 Ways To Monsoon-Proof Your Home
- 12 hrs ago Venus Transit In Gemini 13 July 2022: Impact On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- News Harsha murder case: NIA searches at 13 locations in Karnataka
- Finance This Focused Mutual Fund Invests 93% In Equities, Given Upto 80% Return In 2 Yrs: Rated 4 Star By Crisil
- Sports India squad for T20I & ODI series against England announced: Rohit Sharma returns as captain
- Movies Minions: The Rise Of Gru Movie Review: The Franchise Has Very Little To Offer, But Its Adorable And Emotional
- Technology Samsung Student Advantage Program Offers: Discounts You Can Avail
- Education National Doctors’ Day 2022: Inspirational Quotes And Messages To Express Gratitude To Your Doctor
- Automobiles 2022 TVS Radeon Launched In India: Gets New Features Including LCD Screen & Real-Time Mileage
- Travel Best Monsoon Beach Destinations In India
Glaucoma is an irreversible cause of blindness in children. The prevalence of primary congenital glaucoma (PCG)is one in 3,300 live births, and PCG accounts for 4.2% of all childhood blindness in the Indian population. This has a very major impact on the quality of life, and also, since life expectancy is more, one has to endure more years of suffering.
PCG can occur in newborns (that is true congenital seen at birth or intrauterine), infantile (less than 3 years) or Juvenile glaucoma (10-35 years). Secondary glaucoma can be due to other ocular anomalies like trauma, infection, inflammation, steroid use, small eyes (nanophthalmos), or systemic problems like Sturge-Weber's syndrome. The genetic pattern of PCG is 10% autosomal recessive and 90% sporadic. Mostly seen in boys and is usually bilateral.
PCG presents with a triad of symptoms:
- Epiphora or excessive watering of eyes.
- Photophobia or inability to see in the light.
- Blepharospasm or closure of eyes tightly. Parents may give a history of eye rubbing.
The presentation also can be with a Bull's eye or buphthalmos is when the cornea is enlarged and become hazy due to raised pressure in the eye. A good ocular examination by a trained ophthalmologist should be sought at the earliest in case of any of these symptoms.
As most say prevention is better than cure, it can be prevented to a certain degree by mother's getting fully vaccinated, especially rubella prior to pregnancy. Also, avoid teratogenic drugs and drug abuse during pregnancy.
Most of these children have to be examined under general anaesthesia for intraocular pressure, corneal diameter, retinoscopy, ophthalmoscopy and gonioscopy. Depending upon the severity of involvement, the management varies, which is mostly surgical. Initially, medical treatment is used to lower intraocular pressure by using hyperosmotic agents, beta-blockers, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. At the same time, miotics and alpha agonists are contraindicated in PCG.
Surgery can be:
(1) Incisional surgery such as Goniotomy (possible only if the cornea is clear and
(2) Filtration surgeries are Trabeculectomy with adjunctive antimetabolites. The best standard surgical procedure is primary combined Trabeculotomy and Trabeculectomy with antimetabolites in PCG.
(3) Glaucoma drainage devices are the last resort. It can be a Baerveldt, AADI or Ahmed glaucoma valve.
- zodiac signsJuly Born: Health, Interesting Qualities, And Compatibility With Other Zodiac Signs
- wellnessExpert Article: Your Genes And Cancer Risk
- wellnessDCGI Approves India's First qHPV Vaccine Against Cervical Cancer
- wellnessFirst Time In History: Cancer In All Patients Vanishes During US Drug Trial - Details
- wellnessMasked Cancer Drug Stealthily Trains Immune System To Kill Tumours While Sparing Healthy Tissues
- wellnessExpert Article: Quit Smoking To Reduce Your Risk Of Tongue Cancer
- disorders cureScientists Discover Cell Protein That Keeps Kaposi's Sarcoma Herpesvirus Dormant: All About The Cancer Type
- wellnessBacteria In Urine May Signal Aggressive Prostate Cancer: Study
- wellnessHCG Cancer Hospital Offers India’s First Extended Reality Lab Using Microsoft HoloLens 2
- wellnessExpert Article: Exploring The World Health Day 2022 Theme Through An Ayurveda Perspective
- kidsExpert Article: Bone Marrow Transplant To Treat Challenging Childhood Leukaemia
- disorders cure14 Health Conditions That Can Change One's Personality Dramatically