- 2 hrs ago Lockdown Fitness: Home Exercises To Help You Burn Calories
- 4 hrs ago 5 Quick And Amazing Ways To Remove Facial Hair At Home During Quarantine
- 5 hrs ago COVID-19: Are People With Asthma At A Higher Risk Of The Infection?
- 6 hrs ago Coronavirus Outbreak: Why Is It Crucial To Protect Our Healthcare Workers?
- News 'Your leadership helping Humanity': Donald Trump thanks Modi for supplying Hydroxychloroquine to US
- Movies Varun Dhawan Joins Hands With Flipkart And Launches A Stay-At-Home Reality Show
- Technology Vodafone Offering Recharge Facility Via Missed Call And SMS In Haryana
- Finance Covid19 Impact: CMS To Offer Doorstep Cash Delivery To Senior Citizens And Disabled
- Automobiles Eicher Group Donates Rs 50 Crore To Fight COVID-19 Pandemic In India
- Sports Neymar welcome anytime at Barca, says Suarez
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Sikkim In April
- Education CBSE Academic Calendar 2020-21 For Class 1 To 12
Many young couples get this doubt: how long does a sperm cell survive once it is ejaculated? Well, generally, sperm cells die in a matter of a few minutes when they are exposed to air. Only in rare cases, when the conditions are favourable, they can survive for some more time.
Also Read: Ways To Buildup Sperm
Though only one sperm cell is enough to cause pregnancy, the male organ releases millions of sperm cells just to increase the chances of pregnancy as not all sperm cells will be able to survive till they reach the egg.
So, only the healthiest one among the millions of sperm cells will be able to achieve the feat. Now, let us look at certain aspects of sperm's life and survival.
Sperm cells can live for a few hours to nearly 7 days inside a woman depending upon various other factors.
The sperm cells which fail to reach till the cervix may die down due to the acidic environment in the vagina. But some of them that survive may live up to 3 days.
After ejaculation, only a small number of sperm cells make it till the final destination. The rest of them could die down on the way.
How long can sperm live outside? It can live up to 20-60 minutes depending upon the temperature and other factors in the immediate surroundings.
When ideal conditions exist, sperm cells can also live up to 7 days. During the phase of ovulation, the vaginal environment tends to be more favourable for the sperm and this is why they can swim past the cervix and reach fallopain tubes.
Some couples generally make love without any measures like condoms as they rely on ejaculating outside. But this could also lead to unwanted pregnancies as the fluids that are released before ejaculation can also contain one or two sperm cells which can cause pregnancy.