- 5 hrs ago Rheumatoid Arthritis Awareness Day: Childhood Arthritis (Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis) Signs To Watch Out For
- 6 hrs ago Mahashivratri 2023: Follow These Dos And Don'ts To Appease Lord Shiva
- 6 hrs ago Eating Grapes May Reduce Risk Of Sunburn: How Many Should You Eat?
- 7 hrs ago Realising Your Ignorance Is The First Step You Take Towards Knowledge
- Finance NBFC Stock Hits New 52-Week High After Declaring Dividend, Gets Buy Call For Upside
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: Anupamaa Actor Roots For Sumbul Touqeer; Says ‘Uski Energy Bahut Achi Hai’
- Sports Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny set to miss months with Knee Injury
- News Prophet Muhammad, Jesus Christ's ancestors were Sanatani Hindus: Shankaracharya Swami
- Travel Best Destination For Elderly Couples In India To Visit On Valentine 2023
- Automobiles Tata Blocked Porsche From Using The Safari Name - Here's Why We Got The 911 Dakar
- Technology Motorola Moto Edge 40 Pro Renders Leak: 6.67-Inch Curved OLED Display, SD8 Gen2 SoC Expected
- Education SMIT Admission 2023: Registration Started; Check Details Here
The city of Suraj Kund comes alive with the bright colours in people's attires, the festoons, the rhythm of beating drums, and the joyful participation of all the onlookers, during the first fortnight of February every year. First February onwards it is time for the Indian folk culture to be displayed in the Suraj Kund International Crafts Mela. Although this fair occurs every February every year, it had to be stopped in 2020 due to the Corona virus outbreak. The schedule was revised and the last annual fair was in Faridabad in 2020. The theme of this mela for the year 2023 is "India's Ashtalakshmi- the Northeast."
This event welcomes over a million visitors to the mela including westerners from abroad. The Suraj Kund is an assembly of all folk culture in one place including handicrafts and handlooms. It is the world's largest craft mela.
About Suraj Kund Crafts Mela 2023
A collaborative effort by the Suraj Kund Mela Authority & Haryana Tourism and union ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs, Suraj Kund has been chosen to be the host state. This year happens to be the 36th Suraj Kund International Crafts Mela-2022, where all the regions in India and 20 countries participate in the show.
Folk artists from all over the world present show at Chaupals, the open-air theatres inside the mela venue. Each evening in the mela, the Chaupal hosts cultural events. You can have an insight into some of the traditional heritage crafts which require skills that are fast fading away these days.
The food venue has varieties of cuisines, and entertainment areas, adventure sports and joy rides keep the visitor glued to the mela premises, especially the young crowd. This is an international level festival that had 20 countries participate in the mela wherein Lebanon was the partner and Chhattisgarh was the theme state.
Handlooms and handicrafts dyed in ethnic colours keep the visitors stunned and engrossed for hours. The two Chaupals and the evening recitals at Natyashala, create an atmosphere that reminds you of the time when life had a traditional and folksy feel to it. Amusement, adventure sports and joy rides have their demarcated areas that young throng to and enjoy the experience.
In 2013, the mela was recognised at the international level and was renamed as 28th Suraj Kund International Crafts Mela' . 2014 saw over 15 countries from European and African countries including SAARC nations participate. This year, for the upcoming Suraj Kund International Crafts Mela, about 20 countries are going to take part in the event and enthral the audience.
- festivalsThai Amavasya 2023: Date, Celebrations At Rameswaram, Kanyakumari, And Remedies For Shani Dosha
- insyncMe-Dam-Me-Phi: Know About An Ancient Festival Celebrated By Ahom people In Assam
- festivalsJallikattu 2023: Know About The Bull Taming Festival Celebrated During Pongal In Tamil Nadu
- festivalsUttarayan 2023: Date, Time, Legends, And Significance
- festivalsMakar Sankranti 2023: Know About Date, time, Rituals, Legends And Significance
- pulseSunburn Festival 2022: Dates, History, Celebrations, How To Reach And Nearby Places
- insyncHornbill Festival In Nagaland: Know Interesting Details About The Festival Of Naga Tribes
- decorNavratri 2022: 10 Best Festival Home Decor Ideas For The Auspicious Festival
- festivalsAndal Jayanti 2022: Date, Rituals, Bhog, Legend, History And Significance
- festivalsBenefits Of Applying Sindoor On Main Door, As Per Vastu Shastra
- festivalsMay Month 2022: Auspicious Dates For Wedding, House Warming, Naming Ceremony And More This Month
- festivalsHoli Bhai Dooj 2022: Date, Shubh Muhurat, Significance And How To Do Tilak