- 50 min ago 15 Best Foods To Eat After A Workout
- 1 hr ago 10 Reasons Why Marrying Your Best Friend Is A Wise Decision
- 1 hr ago January 2020 Fashion Edit: Katrina Kaif's Fashion Was About Denims, Saris, And Fuss-Free Casuals
- 2 hrs ago Saraswati Puja 2020: Exude Festive Vibes With These Ivory And Golden Designer Outfits
- Movies Priyanka Chopra In 'Final Talks' To Join Keanu Reeves In Matrix 4; Read Details
- Automobiles Everve Electric Scooter To Debut At Auto Expo: Will Offer Futuristic Design And Top Performance
- Finance Burger King India Receives Sebi Approval For IPO
- News 2019-nCoV: Delhi tourist suspected of coronavirus admitted in Goa medical college
- Technology Coronavirus: Apple Production Units Of iPhone SE 2, AirPods Likely Affected
- Sports Alastair Cook, Ricky Skerritt appointed to MCC's World Cricket Committee
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Sikkim In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Everyone is aware about the health benefits of coconut water, but you will be surprised to know the disadvantages or side effects of coconut water.
Do you know coconut water was traditionally used as a source of safe drinking water for Pacific Island natives? Today, coconut water is enjoyed as a sports drink and acts as a natural digestive remedy for curing many health ailments.
Coconut water is a rich source of potassium, manganese, magnesium, folate, selenium and calcium. It also contains electrolytes that provide energy to the body.
Though it is considered a miracle drink, there are certain aspects of coconut water which we must consider before indulging in it.
Have a look at the disadvantages of coconut water below.
1. It May Affect The Sodium Levels
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a single cup of fresh coconut water contains 252 mg of sodium. This might not be a problem for most people, but people with high blood pressure, or a heart disease should avoid or limit the intake of coconut water.
2. Not Good For People With Allergies
Some people are allergic to certain food items and beverages. Coconut water also might cause allergic reactions in certain people who are allergic to it. Because coconut is basically a tree nut, hence people who consume coconut or coconut water might be prone to allergies.
3. It Possesses Diuretic Properties
Consuming too much of coconut water can make you run to the loo quite a couple of times. Coconut water contains high amounts of potassium, which acts as a natural diuretic, helping the kidneys flush out water. This means, the kidneys have to work harder to eliminate excess water.
4. High In Sugar
Coconut water is drunk as an alternative to other juices, because people think it's low in sugar. A cup of coconut water contains 6.26 grams of sugar. So, consumption of coconut water should be avoided by diabetic individuals.
5. Might Act As A Laxative
Consumption of excess coconut water can be dangerous. Because it can have laxative effects on your digestive system, since coconut water is a natural laxative. People who have irritable bowel syndrome should avoid consuming too much of coconut water.
6. May Lower Your Blood Pressure
Coconut water might lower your blood pressure. Drinking excess of coconut water might lower your blood pressure significantly. People suffering with low blood pressure should limit their intake of coconut water.
7. Dangers Of Electrolyte Imbalance
Excess consumption of coconut water can be fatal, as drinking too much of it can cause hyperkalaemia. Hyperkalaemia causes weakness, light-headedness and loss of consciousness. If you are drinking coconut water as a post-workout drink, then speak with your doctor to ensure you are using it safely.
8. High Calories In Packaged Coconut Water
Fresh coconut water is relatively low in calories. It has 46 calories per cup. Packaged or bottled coconut water contains 92 calories, which will help in gaining weight. So, instead, go for fresh coconut water than the packaged ones.
9. Not Good For Athletes
Many people are of the belief that coconut water is a sports drink that is perfect for athletes. Coconut water cannot be compared to the strong sports drinks that athletes require. For boosting energy and a good performance, athletes cannot drink coconut water because it's low in carbohydrates.
10. Coconut Water Should Be Consumed Fresh
After opening the coconut, drink the water immediately. Don't keep it for a long time to finish it. Because all the essential nutrients get lost if you keep it open for a longer period of time.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your loved ones.