Pork is a well-loved meat.
So much so that 65% of Americans want the bacon to be declared the "national food" of their country.
Unfortunately, this delicious meat is not one to be messed around with as there are many health risks associated with eating pork.
Read on to find out more.
#1 Hepatitis E
Pork liver is quite delicious and is sold as a rich source of vitamin A and other nutrients. But what you may not know is that it is very commonly contaminated by the hepatitis E virus.
Hepatitis E is one of the 5 types of the hepatitis virus that infects human beings. And while it may not be as dangerous as its cousins, the B, and C virus, it is, nevertheless, quite dangerous as it causes vomiting, stomach pain, jaundice, fever, and sometimes even liver failure and death.
Also read - 8 Dangers Habits That Can Destroy Your Liver
#2 Worm Infestation
Pigs usually are raised in quite unhygienic conditions. And that's how the larvae of various parasites, like roundworm, pinworm, tapeworm, and hookworm, end up in their meat.
#3 Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease of the nerves, which damages our nervous system and renders us helpless over time.
But recent studies have found that there is a very deep correlation between multiple sclerosis and eating pork. So much so that countries like India and Israel have very low incidence of this problem as compared to western countries where the incidence is growing along with the increase in pork consumption.
Also read - 7 Must Know Facts About Multiple Sclerosis
#4 Bacterial Infection
Undercooked pork is responsible for a wide host of diseases caused by bacteria like yersinia, Staph. aureus, E.coli, listeria, and salmonella.
#5 Liver Cancer
For a long time, people thought that the nitrosamine preservatives added to pork meat was responsible for causing cancer. But that is no longer considered a fact since a lot of vegetables and other meat products are also preserved with this compound, but which do not show such a high correlation with liver cancer.
Also read - Liver Cancer: Early Warning Signs!
Do I Have to Stop Eating Pork?
If you love pork and bacon, don't fret. As long as you cook the meat above 71oC, you should be fine as the high heat destroys all the microbes present in the meat.
Was This Article Helpful?
Then share it with your friends on social media so they can read it too.
- 20 Simple Steps To Lose Belly Fat Fast (That Really Work!)
- 10 Reasons Why Your Nipples Itch All The Time
- 10 Important Facts About Red Wine That Will Blow Your Mind
- What Is Manuka Honey? Benefits And Side Effects
- Stomach Flu Or Food Poisoning: Which One Do You Have?
- What Is Hysterectomy? 9 Facts You Need To Know
- How To Lose Weight Without Dieting (Simple Weight Loss Tips)
- How to Stop Emotional Eating - 5 Simple Steps
- 9 Simple Home Remedies To Reduce High Blood Pressure
- 9 Surprising Facts About Common Cold You Never Knew!
- How to Cure Erectile Dysfunction (Naturally) - 9 Useful Tips
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Cranberries
- Nutritional Requirements For 8 Months To 1-year-old Babies