- 3 min ago Vidya Balan Impresses Us With Her Sari And Her Jewellery Set Is A Gift From Her Sister
- 1 hr ago Chata, The Cute Munchkin Kitten With The Cutest Sleeping Poses!
- 2 hrs ago On Regina Cassandra's Birthday, Take A Look At Her Impeccable Fashion Sense
- 2 hrs ago Viral: This Adorable Penguin Migrates 8,000 KM Every Year To Meet The Man Who Saved It
- Technology Realme Buds Air Massive Leak: Complete Specs And Price Revealed
- Movies Ayushmann Khurrana: 2019 Has Been My Biggest Year
- Travel Tips To Have A Local Experience When Travelling Or Moving Overseas
- Finance Nirmala Sitharaman Debuts In Forbes 2019 World's 100 Most Powerful Women List
- News IMA Ponzi scam: ED attaches Rs 10 crore assets in 'Islamic banking or halal investment'
- Sports Rumour Has It: Guardiola has break clause in Manchester City contract
- Automobiles Tata Altroz India Launch Date Confirmed: To Rival The Maruti Suzuki Baleno
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
Brie Larson, the popular Oscar award winning actress of recent times once said, "For some reason, chewing gum for me gets my brain going".
Now, most of us would have tried chewing gum, at least a few times in our lives, if not on a regular basis, right?
Well, a lot of people chew gum for different reasons, while some may just like the taste of something sweet or minty in their mouth to last for a long time, the others may do it to battle bad breath.
Also, some of them chew gum, after a meal which has a lot of garlic or onion or even chew gum after smoking cigarettes, to help mask the odours.
Now, we may have come across pieces of health tips or news articles stating how dangerous chewing gum could be for our health, right?
Well, just like with a lot of ingredients that we consume or habits that we follow, even the habit of chewing gum has various opinions - some good and some bad.
Now, we know that to remain healthy, we must make a conscious effort to do everything we possibly can to avoid diseases.
A balanced diet, regular exercise, healthy habits that include giving up on vices like smoking and drinking, managing stress, etc.
We must also keep ourselves updated with health news so that we know about the latest research findings that may help us gain more insight on how to maintain our health better.
So, what we always thought was bad for our health, could also prove to have certain health benefits when done the right way and in moderation.
So, here are a few health benefits of chewing gum that you may be interested in!
1. Boosts Memory
A recent research study by a team of psychologist in St. Lawrence University found that chewing sugar-free gum on a regular basis can increase the blood flow to the hippocampus in the brain and also increase the flow of oxygen to the brain. This helps keep your brain cells active and thus improves your memory skills.
2. Reduces Stress
Another research study has found that chewing gum can be a great stress-buster, as it boosts the oxygen flow to the brain and decreases the production of the stress hormone known as cortisol, in the blood, thus reducing stress.
3. Relieves Anxiety
Just like how chewing gum can reduce stress, the same action of chewing gum boosting oxygen flow to the brain can also reduce anxiety. So, chewing gum before an interview or an important meeting can help calm your nerves.
4. Aids Weight Loss
Chewing gum whenever you get hunger pangs can kill the untimely hunger pangs and prevent you from binge eating, thus helping you stick to your healthy diet and lose weight! Ensure that the gum you choose is sugar-free and low in calories.
5. Treats Nausea
If you are someone who is prone to travel sickness or if you are suffering from nausea induced by indigestion, chewing minty gum can help reduce this sensation, as chewing on gum can produce more saliva, which in turn reduces the acid produced in the stomach, thus treating nausea.
6. Treats Constipation
Chewing gum can be used to treat constipation temporarily, because the extra saliva produced can lubricate your intestines and make bowel movement smoother. However, constipation is a condition that requires medical attention.
7. Reduces Acidity
Again, due to the extra saliva which is produced while chewing gum, which can reduce the digestive acids produced in the stomach, it can also treat acidity temporarily and acidity too must be checked by a professional.
8. Makes You More Alert
Each time you are feeling tired and lethargic at work, chewing gum could help make you more alert and energetic, because it increases the blood flow and oxygen to your brain.
9. Reduces Ear Pain
Many people experience ear pain while travelling in planes or at high altitudes, due to the air pressure build-up in the ear. Chewing gum during such occasions can help release the air from the ear, thus reducing ear pain instantly!