- Movies Dexter And Criminals Minds Actress Mary Mara Passes Away
- Education HPBOSE 10th Result 2022 Today: Steps To Check Himachal Class 10 Result, Websites To Check HP Board 10th Result
- Technology Moto G42 With SD680, Android 12 Launching On July 4; Flipkart Availability Confirmed
- News Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut to skip ED's summons today
- Automobiles 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 Launched At Rs 7.36 Lakh
- Finance This Factor Compelled EV Automakers To Hike Prices
- Sports 6IXTY 2022: Chris Gayle is brand ambassador, Universe Boss to play for trophy named after him
- Travel Peb Fort Trek, Maharashtra - Complete Guide
The rest of the world is just catching up to what the ancient Indians have always known about turmeric.
No wonder Indian food is considered incomplete without a healthy dash of this yellow spice. And Indian home remedies considered incomplete without a glass of turmeric milk.
But how do we know these ancient remedies are actually correct? Let us find out together in today's episode of Fact vs. Fiction - benefits of drinking turmeric milk.
And if you missed our take on garlic yesterday, then don't worry. You can read it right here.
Benefit #1: Turmeric milk can prevent fat accumulation.
There are two types of fat in our body. Brown fat (which is burned to produce energy for the body) and white fat (which is used to store extra calories for future use).
They are the good cop and the bad cop of the fat universe.
Unfortunately, if you are an obese individual, your body keeps accumulating the latter even though it does not need it. And since these tissues are like every other cell in your body, they soon start to demand sustenance (a.k.a oxygen), which produces a network blood vessels around them and thus, gives them more incentive to grow.
That's where turmeric comes into play.
Turmeric contains a compound named curcumin. And studies have shown that curcumin is very effective against angiogenesis (a.k.a blood vessel development) in white fat tissues, which ultimately prevents fats from accumulating in your body.
Benefit #2: It enhances the weight loss effect of proper diet.
You will fail to lose weight if you do not eat right.
Unfortunately, some people are more resistant to weight loss than others. And turmeric milk is an excellent weight loss supplement for them when they have it once or twice a day with their usual weight-loss diet.
Benefit #3: Converts white fat to brown fat.
Turmeric increases the norepinephrine levels in our body, which is responsible for inducing white fats to become brown. That is a great thing!
As mentioned in point #1, brown fat is good for the body as it burns up and produces energy. That's why it is usually found in higher amount in hibernating animals and lean and muscular human beings.
Benefit #4: It increases the body’s metabolism and thermogenesis.
Thermogenesis, or heat production, is a term used to describe the amount of energy used up by the body every day. It is related to metabolism.
And turmeric is very good at tuning this up. Thus, helping the body burn more stored fats.
Benefit #5: Suppresses inflammation caused by obesity.
The adipose tissues (a.k.a fat stores) in our body produce adipokines, like IL-6 and TNF-α, which are pro-inflammatory agents. And the compounds in turmeric target these adipokines and prevent them from producing free radicals in our body through oxidative stress.
Benefit #6: Anti-diabetic effect.
Turmeric has the ability to reduce your blood sugar level. Plus, it also reduces insulin resistance in the body. Therefore, it is a potent anti-diabetic agent.
Benefit #7: Prevents metabolic syndrome.
Metabolic syndrome is a condition wherein the body's blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, and body fat levels are significantly elevated, which in turn leads to heart diseases, diabetes, and stroke.
Turmeric helps curb all this by decreasing the level of cholesterol and blood sugar in the body.
Benefit #8: Fights depression.
Obesity and depression are two sides of the same coin. In fact, studies have shown that both conditions produce problems like increased inflammation, insulin resistance, and hormonal imbalance.
Therefore, turmeric is excellent for fighting depression as it stimulates serotonin and dopamine release in the brain, which keeps your spirits up throughout the day.
Benefit #9: Reduces swelling.
Wounds produce inflammation, which causes the affected area of the body to swell up. This is painful and can be dangerous. And turmeric helps fight this through its anti-inflammatory effect.
Benefit #10: Has antibacterial properties.
Packing small wounds and cuts with turmeric is an ayurvedic first aid technique since turmeric is known to prevent infection by killing bacteria at the site of the wound.
Benefit #11: Reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and gives you glowing skin.
Drinking turmeric milk every day reduces the number of free radicals in your body, and thus, removes the signs of aging.
This is accomplished by turmeric's antioxidant properties and its ability to increase anti-oxidant enzymes in the body.
Benefit #12: Fight cough and cold.
Drinking warm turmeric milk when down with the flu is a staple in every Indian home.
This is because turmeric is an excellent anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agent. In fact, drinking turmeric milk is so potent that those who drink it every day have fewer bouts of cough and cold in a year as compared to those who don't.
Benefit #13: It is a natural painkiller.
Turmeric is also known as the natural Aspirin of Ayurveda because it is a potent painkiller.
It accomplishes this by reducing the levels of prostaglandins and interleukins in your body, which produce pain.
Benefit #14: It aids in digestion.
Turmeric's anti-inflammatory effect is good for the stomach and intestines. In fact, it is known to reduce gas and bloating, and therefore, aiding in digestion.
Benefit #15: Strengthens bones and relieves joint pain.
If drinking milk is good for your bones. Then drinking turmeric milk is even better.
Plus, turmeric milk is capable of reducing autoimmune reactions in the body, which helps reduce the problems caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
If this doesn't convince you to start drinking turmeric milk every day, then I don't know what will.
Just remember not to have it on an empty stomach as that can produce acid reflux.
Liked it? Share it.
Don't keep all this wholesome goodness to yourself. Share it and let the world know what you know. #turmericmilk
Read the Next Episode - We Bet You Don't Know These Amazing Health Benefits of Ginger!
- wellness'Heal In India': An Indian Govt Initiative To Attract More Foreign Patients
- wellnessCovid Patients At Higher Risk Of Serious Neurodegenerative Disorders: Study
- wellness11 Health Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
- yoga spiritualityInternational Yoga Day 2022 Highlights: Yoga Is A Way Of Life, Says PM Narendra Modi
- wellnessTreating Sleep Apnoea Can Improve Memory In People With Cognitive Decline
- wellnessHow Does The Body Convert Carbohydrates Into Energy?
- wellnessAntibiotics Can Lead To Life-Threatening Fungal Infection Because Of Disruption To The Gut Microbiome: Expert
- healthPhilanthropist Upasana Kamineni Konidela Visits Senior Care Homes And Health Camps
- wellnessIs Nutraceuticals A Smart Choice For A Healthier Tomorrow?
- wellnessE-manas Platform For Mental Health Can Be Replicated Nationwide: K'taka Health Minister
- wellnessMonkeypox Virus Case Confirmed In UK After Nigeria Travel Link
- wellnessNational Thalassemia Day 2022: Pregnancy In Women With Thalassemia