- 2 hrs ago A 12-Year-Old Colour-Blind Boy Gets Emotional After He Sees Colours For The First Time
- 5 hrs ago Hina Khan’s Mesmerising Blue Eye Make-up Is All You Need To Slay This Holiday Season
- 6 hrs ago Rasika Dugal's Black Outfit Can Easily Elevate Your Formal Look
- 8 hrs ago Instagram Beauty Trends Of The Week: Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh, Kareena Kapoor & More
- News Will seek President's rule in Bengal if violence continues: BJP
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Day 69: Salman Khan Enters Weekend Ka Vaar Episode In Dabangg Style
- Sports ISL 2019-20: FC Goa vs ATK: Goa rally past Kolkata to go top
- Technology How To Get Numeric Keypad In Windows
- Automobiles Volvo XC40 T4 R-Design Petrol Launched In India At Rs 39.90 Lakh, Ex-Showroom
- Finance RBI To Offer Liquidity Support Scheme For 24X7 Functionality Of Neft
- Travel How Christmas Is Celebrated In Different Parts Of India
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
A serious type of sleep disorder, sleep apnea occurs when a person's breathing is interrupted during sleep. People who suffer from sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly in their sleep. Sometimes it can be hundreds of times. This results in the brain and other important organs of the body ending up not getting enough oxygen.
Sleep apnea may be classified into two types: Obstructive sleep apnea (when the soft tissue at the back of the throat collapses, it causes a blockage in the airway) and central sleep apnea (as a result of instability in the respiratory control centre, the brain is unable to signal the muscles to breathe).
Also Read: Why You Having Sleep Apnea? Know Here
People of any age group can suffer from sleep apnea. However, certain risk factors include obesity, a large neck, being male, being over forty years of age, having tonsils, having nasal obstructions and GERD.
However, there are many people who do not even realise that they suffer from sleep apnea. This can prove to be fatal in the long run. Hence, there are certain signs of sleep apnea you should look out for and visit the doctor immediately if you see that you suffer from these symptoms.
If even after sleeping for seven to eight hours in the night you feel sleepy throughout the day, it could be a sign of sleep apnea. People who suffer from this type of condition do not even realise that they have woken up several times in the night.
Also Read: Main Causes Of Breathing Problems
If you wake up with a headache even after your regular dose of sleep, it could signal sleep apnea. Symptoms could also surface in the form of weight gain, regular trips to the bathroom at night, anxiety, irritability and mood swings. Male impotency could also be a result of sleep apnea.
Children also suffer from sleep apnea. Signs are poor attention span, irritability, falling asleep in the class, hypersensitivity and wetting the bed at night even though the kid is potty and pee trained.