- 18 min ago Sara Ali Khan And Janhvi Kapoor Doll Up In Party Dresses For Ranveer Singh’s Show, The Big Picture
- 1 hr ago IMF Chief Economist Gita Gopinath To Quit Job, Plans To Return To Harvard University
- 3 hrs ago Expert Article: Breast Cancer Early Detection, Screening, And Management
- 15 hrs ago Malala Yousafzai Writes Open Letter To Taliban Urging To Reopen Schools For Girls In Afghanistan
- Movies Hina Khan Chooses Mental Health Over Physical Appearance; Find Out Why
- News Hours after meeting with son, NCB raids Shahrukh Khan’s residence
- Technology Moto G51 5G Key Features Leaked Online; 50MP Triple Camera, FHD+ Display In Tow
- Sports T20 World Cup 2021: With eye on Super 12s stage, Ireland and Nambia clash in must-win game
- Education Kerala TET Result Released For May 2021 Session
- Finance Top Education Stocks In India To Consider 2021
- Travel Top Wedding Destinations In India
- Automobiles Mahindra XUV700 Crosses 65000 Bookings In Just Two Weeks
Here goes a saying, nothing beats the taste of salt. True as it sounds, salt is widely used by all of us to cook. Most of the packaged food that we die to eat is preserved using salt as this acts as a main preservative. However, salt to a larger extent is a component that is the basic cause for people to get various kind of diseases. These disease varies from hyperthyroidism to high blood pressure.
Sodium is the main element found in salt. And at the same time, sodium can also be found in most of the natural herbs that we use in our daily cooking. Most of the foods contains a decent amount of sodium in their natural state. Many herbs and spices that we find in our kitchen are not just known for their distinct taste but also for their medicinal values. In order to enhance the taste of your food, without adding salt, substitute it with natural herbs and spices. These can act as salt alternatives or salt substitutes. Herbs and spices like pepper, garlic, ginger, basil and cardamom have the ability to transform a simple dish into a sensuous eating experience of lively and refreshing flavors. These spices surely promises to excite your taste buds.
Here are few salt alternatives or salt substitutes that can be used to prepare meals. These spices and herbs are low in sodium, and are equally healthy & tasty.
Cinnamon is one of the oldest spice known, especially in countries like India, Sri Lanka and other parts of Asia. This is a good salt alternative as it has the ability to regulates blood sugar level and lower cholesterol.
Most of us have drunk cardamom tea and have got the taste with a hint of a ginger and salt. Cardamom is a well known substitute for salt as the taste of it is widely different and strong. Especially when it is combined with cumin and coriander seeds.
Basil leaves are the most common herbs that are used for cooking in India. These leaves are pungent in taste and slightly sweet in nature. It is not just known for its medicinal benefits but also known as a salt alternatives.
Also known as red chilli peppers, Cayenne is an apt substitute for salt. Widely used in Spanish, Mexican and Indian cuisines. Cayenne gives a hot and peppery flavour that can be a good salt alternative.
Bay leaves are highly known to add flavour to meat foods. These sweet and aromatic leaves are usually dried to enhance its flavour. This could be one ingredient that could re-define the taste of the food.
Garlic powder as a salt alternative not only fulfills the purpose of enhancing the taste of the food. But, it is also known for its medicinal values. Garlic powder can be used in preparing meat, fish and pastas.
Black Pepper Powder
There is not much difference between salt and pepper. Black pepper can act as a great salt alternative and gives an intense & aromatic flavour. Also known as black gold, this pepper is a perfect salt alternative.
Soy sauce is also a great salt alternative. It has a good amount of salt and also adds better taste to the food. It has high nutritional values and is good for health. Introducing soy in our everyday diet helps in a long run.
Onion as a vegetable is known for its strong pungent taste. However, when using as a salt alternative, make sure that you use it wisely as it has a strong and concentrated taste.
Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Lemon juice is known as a natural preservative and can be a wonderful salt substitute. Lemon juice also acts as a natural preservative, so it will keep fresh cut fruit from turning brown and also enhances the taste of a spicy food.
Sunflower seeds are known for its nutritional values. This can also be a rich source of salt alternative.