- 3 hrs ago Jacqueline Fernandez poses in floral print lehenga for The Kapil Sharma Show
- 4 hrs ago Is Mosambi Juice Safe For Children? Tips For Parents And Healthy Recipe
- 5 hrs ago Pratipada Shraddha 2021: First Day of Pitru Paksha Tithi, Puja Ritual, Significance and How To Do
- 8 hrs ago How Are Common Eye Diseases Related To Increased Risk Of Dementia?
- News Pornography racket case: Raj Kundra gets bail on Rs 50,000 surety
- Sports Paralympics bronze winner Sharad admitted to AIIMS after chest congestion, says feeling better
- Movies Bhavai: Makers Of Pratik Gandhi's Film Issue Clarification, Say 'Film Doesn't Hurt Any Religious Sentiments'
- Technology Airtel Offers Rs. 999 Plan To Business And Broadband Users; Which Is Better?
- Travel Pitru Paksha 2021: Important Places For Pind Daan In India
- Finance Top 5 Public Sector Banks Promising Good Returns On 5 Year Fixed Deposits
- Automobiles Tata Punch Reaches Dealerships Before Its Official Launch; Tata Bets Big On Punch
- Education KCET Result 2021 Declared, Check KCET 2021 Direct Link And Other Details Here
Here goes a saying, nothing beats the taste of salt. True as it sounds, salt is widely used by all of us to cook. Most of the packaged food that we die to eat is preserved using salt as this acts as a main preservative. However, salt to a larger extent is a component that is the basic cause for people to get various kind of diseases. These disease varies from hyperthyroidism to high blood pressure.
Sodium is the main element found in salt. And at the same time, sodium can also be found in most of the natural herbs that we use in our daily cooking. Most of the foods contains a decent amount of sodium in their natural state. Many herbs and spices that we find in our kitchen are not just known for their distinct taste but also for their medicinal values. In order to enhance the taste of your food, without adding salt, substitute it with natural herbs and spices. These can act as salt alternatives or salt substitutes. Herbs and spices like pepper, garlic, ginger, basil and cardamom have the ability to transform a simple dish into a sensuous eating experience of lively and refreshing flavors. These spices surely promises to excite your taste buds.
Here are few salt alternatives or salt substitutes that can be used to prepare meals. These spices and herbs are low in sodium, and are equally healthy & tasty.
Cinnamon is one of the oldest spice known, especially in countries like India, Sri Lanka and other parts of Asia. This is a good salt alternative as it has the ability to regulates blood sugar level and lower cholesterol.
Most of us have drunk cardamom tea and have got the taste with a hint of a ginger and salt. Cardamom is a well known substitute for salt as the taste of it is widely different and strong. Especially when it is combined with cumin and coriander seeds.
Basil leaves are the most common herbs that are used for cooking in India. These leaves are pungent in taste and slightly sweet in nature. It is not just known for its medicinal benefits but also known as a salt alternatives.
Also known as red chilli peppers, Cayenne is an apt substitute for salt. Widely used in Spanish, Mexican and Indian cuisines. Cayenne gives a hot and peppery flavour that can be a good salt alternative.
Bay leaves are highly known to add flavour to meat foods. These sweet and aromatic leaves are usually dried to enhance its flavour. This could be one ingredient that could re-define the taste of the food.
Garlic powder as a salt alternative not only fulfills the purpose of enhancing the taste of the food. But, it is also known for its medicinal values. Garlic powder can be used in preparing meat, fish and pastas.
Black Pepper Powder
There is not much difference between salt and pepper. Black pepper can act as a great salt alternative and gives an intense & aromatic flavour. Also known as black gold, this pepper is a perfect salt alternative.
Soy sauce is also a great salt alternative. It has a good amount of salt and also adds better taste to the food. It has high nutritional values and is good for health. Introducing soy in our everyday diet helps in a long run.
Onion as a vegetable is known for its strong pungent taste. However, when using as a salt alternative, make sure that you use it wisely as it has a strong and concentrated taste.
Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Lemon juice is known as a natural preservative and can be a wonderful salt substitute. Lemon juice also acts as a natural preservative, so it will keep fresh cut fruit from turning brown and also enhances the taste of a spicy food.
Sunflower seeds are known for its nutritional values. This can also be a rich source of salt alternative.