- 5 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 21 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 10 hrs ago Benefits Of Reciting Specific Chapters Of Sundar Kanda For Wish Fulfilment
- 11 hrs ago What Is Codependency In A Romantic Relationship? How To Tackle The Extreme Desire To Care For Your Partner
- 11 hrs ago Lala Lajpat Rai Birth Anniversary 2023: Interesting Quotes And Messages
- Finance Strong Recoveries Double UBI Q3 Net To Rs 2,245 Crore
- Education Top Career opportunities after LLB in India 2023
- News Manipur, Meghalaya, and Tripura celebrate Foundation Day: PM Modi wishes
- Movies Bigg Boss Tamil 6 Grand Finale: Will Shivin Win The Title And Create History?
- Sports Hockey World Cup 2023: Who Will India Face in Quarter Finals If They Beat New Zealand in Crossover Game?
- Automobiles Bentley Bentayga EWB Launched In India At Rs 6 Crore – The New Flagship
- Travel Where To Travel Solo In India During Winter
- Technology Samsung Galaxy A03s vs Lava Z3: Budget Smartphones Compared
Scientists have developed a new machine learning model for the discovery of genetic risk factors for ailments such as Motor Neurone Disease.
Designed by researchers from the University of Sheffield in the UK and the Stanford University School of Medicine in the US, the machine learning tool, RefMap, has been used by the team to trace 690 risk genes for motor neurone disease (MND), many of which are new discoveries.
One of the genes highlighted as a new MND gene, called KANK1, has been shown to produce neurotoxicity very similar to that observed in the brains of patients.
Although at an early stage, this is potentially a new target for the design of new drugs, Sheffield University said in a release on Thursday.
Dr Johnathan Cooper-Knock, from the University of Sheffield's Neuroscience Institute, said, "This new tool will help us to understand and profile the genetic basis of MND. Using this model we have already seen a dramatic increase in the number of risk genes for MND, from approximately 15 to 690."
"Each new risk gene discovered is a potential target for the development of new treatments for MND and could also pave the way for genetic testing for families to work out their risk of disease."
The 690 new genes identified by RefMap lead to a five-fold increase in discovered heritability, a measure that describes how much of the disease is due to a variation in genetic factors.
"RefMap identifies risk genes by integrating genetic and epigenetic data. It is a generic tool and we are applying it to more diseases in the lab," said Sai Zhang, PhD, instructor of genetics at the Stanford University School of Medicine.
Michael Snyder, PhD, professor and chair of the department of genetics at the Stanford School of Medicine and also the corresponding author of this work said, "By doing machine learning for genome analysis, we are discovering more hidden genes for human complex diseases such as MND, which will eventually power personalised treatment and intervention."
- wellnessWorld-Leading Scientists On The Brink Of Curing Genetic Heart Diseases For The First Time In History
- babyWhat Is Alagille Syndrome? Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- wellnessCovid-19 Severity Among Elderly May Be Due To Genetic Reasons, Study Reveals
- wellnessGenetic Link Between Routine Blood Test Results And Mental Health Disorders: Study
- kidsWhat Is Rett Syndrome, A Disorder Highly Found In Females? Causes, Symptoms And Treatments
- wellnessWaking Up Just An Hour Earlier Linked To Lower Risk Of Depression, Says Study
- diabetesKnow About Genetics Of Type 1 And Type 2 Diabetes And How To Prevent If It Runs In The Family
- disorders cureWorld Leprosy Day 2021: Facts You Might Not Know About Leprosy
- disorders cureTurner Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms, Complications And Treatments
- disorders cureNational Cleft And Craniofacial Awareness and Prevention Month: What Is Cleft Lip And Palate?
- disorders cureSarcoma Awareness Month 2021: What Is Sarcoma? Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors And Treatment
- wellnessImportance Of Diet, Nutritional Tips And Yoga For People With Scoliosis