- 13 hrs ago Floral Or Striped, Which Pantsuit Of Mimi Actress Sai Tamhankar Did You Like More?
- 14 hrs ago Mercury Transit in Cancer 2021: Effects On Different Zodiac Signs
- 14 hrs ago Exclusive: A Cosmetologist Explains Everything About Acne
- 14 hrs ago Shershaah Promotions: Kiara Advani Slays It In An Orange Pantsuit As She Promotes Her Movie In Kargil
- Technology Last Week Most Trending Smartphones: OnePlus Nord 2 5G, Poco F3 GT, Redmi Note 10 And More
- Movies Former Roadies Winner Shweta Mehta Opens Up About Her Near-Fatal Accident, Says She Took Two Years To Recover
- News More than 44.58 crore COVID-19 vaccine doses given so far: Health ministry
- Sports Teary homecoming: Olympic silver-medallist Mirabai Chanu breaks down on meeting mother
- Education NBE Calendar 2021-22 Released For Upcoming Medical Entrance Exams
- Automobiles 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan India Launch Timeline Revealed: Expected To Arrive This Festive Season
- Finance RBI Imposes Penalty On Sarvodaya Co-operative Bank; Know Why
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Mizoram In August
Onions are an inevitable part of Indian cooking recipes. According to the researchers, white onions are super-healthy with vitamin-c, flavonoids, and phytonutrients. Flavonoids, present in onions will lower the risk of some diseases like Parkinson's, stroke, and cardiovascular diseases.
Other than these, onions also contain fibre, folic acid, antioxidants, and anti-bacterial agents . Among other Allium vegetables, onions are healthier. Intake of white onion is good for health in both raw and cooked forms.
It is said that cultivation of onions has been there since 5000 BC. Even doctors of 16th century prescribed onions for many diseases like infertility on women. Studies also point out that onion has the power to balance blood sugar levels . Other than the medicinal contributions, white onions are also tasty and are used for many culinary across the world.
There are three types of onions, red, white, and yellow. Here, we will discuss the health benefits of white onions.
1. Manages Blood Sugar Levels
Contents like chromium and sulphur in white onions help to regulate blood sugar and lower blood sugar. Studies have pointed out that regular and controlled consumption of white onions is beneficial for people with diabetes or prediabetes . In addition, certain compounds found in onions, such as quercetin and sulphur compounds, possess antidiabetic effects.
2. Has Cancer-fighting Properties
Allium vegetables, such as white onions have sulphur compounds and flavonoid antioxidants that have been proven to possess cancer-fighting properties . Onions also contain fisetin and quercetin, flavonoid antioxidants that may prevent tumour growth.
3. May Improve Digestive Health
White onions are a rich source of fibre and prebiotics that can help improve your gut health . Onions are particularly rich in the prebiotic inulin and fructooligosaccharides, and on regular consumption, can help increase the number of friendly bacteria in your gut.
4. May Boost Bone Health
One of the health benefits of white onions is that it improves bone density in older women. It is also pointed out that consuming white onion may help reduce oxidative stress, boost antioxidant levels, and decrease bone loss, which in turn can help prevent osteoporosis and boost bone density .
5. May Improve Heart Health
White onions contain antioxidants and compounds that fight inflammation, decrease triglycerides and reduce cholesterol levels, all of which are effective in improving your heart health . Likewise, the anti-inflammatory properties of white onions may help reduce high blood pressure and protect against blood clots .
6. Has Blood-thinning Properties
Benefits of white onions include thinning of the blood. It has agents like flavonoids and sulphur that helps in thinning of blood . Blood thinners or blood-thinning agents help blood flow smoothly through your veins and arteries.
7. Has Anti-inflammatory Properties
The high amount of sulphur in onion is an effective anti-inflammatory agent . Also, white onion is rich in selenium, which stimulates immune function and helps to reduce inflammation.
8. May Improve Immunity
As mentioned before, the presence of selenium in white onions make this vegetable an effective one for managing your immune levels . Selenium may play a role in the management of viral and allergic conditions.
9. May Improve Sleep Quality
Some studies suggest that white onions may help improve your sleep quality due to the presence of L-tryptophan, a form of amino acid that acts as a natural sedative. It also helps in reducing stress levels which also aids a good sleep .
10. Improves Hair Health
White onion juice is a very well-known home remedy for hair loss . The juice is also beneficial for restoring hair shine and help prevent dandruff and premature greying of your hair.
In addition, white onions also have the following health benefits:
- Provides relief from cold
- Improve skin quality and prevents skin-related infections
- May help with infertility
- May reduce stress
White Onions VS Red Onions: What Are The Differences And Similarities?
Nutrition: The nutritional profile of white onions and red onions are almost the same. Both contain almost the same amount fibre and other nutrients like flavonoids, Vitamin C, calcium, phosphorous and potassium.
Culinary use: Red onions as well as the white ones are widely used in cooking and are eaten raw as well. Red onions are a staple in South East Asian countries like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. White onions are increasingly used in Mexican cuisine.
Flavour: Red onion has more of an astringent flavour in comparison to white onions.
On A Final Note…
White onions have anti-bacterial properties and promote digestive health, which may improve immune function, among several other health benefits. In addition to this, white onions have a milder flavour than red onions, making them easy to add in dishes.