- 2 hrs ago Expert Article: Quit Smoking To Reduce Your Risk On Tongue Cancer
- 3 hrs ago Unlucky Plants: Avoid Growing These Nine Forbidden Plants At Home, As Per Vastu
- 4 hrs ago Fasting In Hinduism: What You Need To Know
- 6 hrs ago Sindhu Darshan Festival 2022: Date, Time, Celebrations, History And Significance
- News PM Modi set for second in-person Quad Summit, to have bilaterals with Kishida, Biden, Albanese
- Sports Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan leaves Irfan Pathan stumped, takes his banter to the next level
- Movies Kamya Panjabi Claps Back At Sangita Ghosh For Misconstruing Her Comments Over Swaran Ghar’s Dupatta Scene
- Automobiles Kia EV6: Top 10 Things To Know
- Technology Is Xiaomi 12 Pro The Fastest 5G Smartphone In The World? Here Is The Answer
- Education ICSE ISC Examination 2023 To Held Once A Year, ICSE And ISC Syllabus Revised. Check Details And Download Link
- Finance Fuel Rates Slashed Following Excise Duty Cut: Check New Rates
- Travel Best Camping Site Near Pune And Mumbai – Pawna Lake Camping, 1N/2D
Avoidant personality disorder (AVPD) is a common disorder that is marked by feelings of fear and nervousness. The prevalence of avoidant personality disorder is estimated to be around 1.5% to 2.5%  . It is reported that women are at a higher risk of avoidant personality disorder  .
People with this disorder start avoiding people socially due to fear of rejection or disapproval and this leads to poor self-esteem.
What Causes Avoidant Personality Disorder 
The exact causes of this disorder are unknown. However, it is believed that environmental, genetic, social, and psychological factors cause avoidant personality disorder.
Symptoms Of Avoidant Personality Disorder
- Low self-esteem
- Social inhibition
- Feelings of inadequacy
- Anxiety in social situations
- Extreme self-consciousness
- Lack of trust
- Avoiding intimate relationships
- Avoiding making decisions 
- Feared of getting rejected
- Thinking of oneself as inferior 
Who Is At Risk Of Avoidant Personality Disorder? 
It is most likely to develop in the infant and childhood stages and continue to adulthood. Usually, the disorder isn't diagnosed in people younger than 18 years of age. The shyness and avoidance develop as the child grows older.
What Is The Social Impact Of Avoidant Personality Disorder?
People with this disorder find it difficult to connect with other people and seek friendships. If the person is involved in a relationship, he or she may be afraid to share their personal feelings and this largely affects their close relationships  .
At work, people may find it difficult to talk to colleagues and this can hamper his or her work.
Diagnosis Of Avoidant Personality Disorder 
As per the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), a person diagnosed with avoidant personality disorders should at least have four of the following criteria:
- Avoidance of occupational activities that involve social contact due to fear of criticism or rejection.
- Thinking that you are inferior to others
- Unwilling to get close to other people unless you are sure they like you
- Holding back in intimate relationships
- Hesitating to do new things out of fear or embarrassment
- Inhibition in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy.
Treatment Of Avoidant Personality Disorder
The FDA hasn't approved any medicines to treat avoidant personality disorder. However, the doctor may prescribe anti-depressant medications to treat depression and anxiety symptoms associated with avoidant personality disorder.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy 
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a form of talk therapy, where a therapist assists you in recognizing unhelpful thinking. The therapist helps to change your thought process and aids in developing alternative, healthier thoughts.
Psychodynamic therapy 
It is another form of talk therapy that helps you become aware of your unconscious thoughts and it lets you understand how past experiences influence your current behaviour. As a result, it allows you to resolve past emotional pain so that you can move forward.
-  Lampe, L., & Malhi, G. S. (2018). Avoidant personality disorder: current insights.Psychology research and behavior management,11, 55–66.
-  Lampe, L., & Sunderland, M. (2015). Social phobia and avoidant personality disorder: similar but different?.Journal of personality disorders,29(1), 115-130.
-  Paniagua FA.Culture-bound syndromes, cultural variations, and psychopathologyin Paniagua FA, Yamada AM (Editors). Handbook of Multicultural Health.Academic Press. 2013.
-  Ashton M.Individual Differences and Personality (Second Edition).Academic Press. 2013.
-  Rettew, D. C., Zanarini, M. C., Yen, S., Grilo, C. M., Skodol, A. E., Shea, M. T., … Gunderson, J. G. (2003). Childhood antecedents of avoidant personality disorder: a retrospective study.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,42(9), 1122–1130.
-  Eggum, N. D., Eisenberg, N., Spinrad, T. L., Valiente, C., Edwards, A., Kupfer, A. S., & Reiser, M. (2009). Predictors of withdrawal: possible precursors of avoidant personality disorder.Development and psychopathology,21(3), 815–838.
-  Benjamin, L. S. (1996).Interpersonal diagnosis and treatment of personality disorders. Guilford Press.
-  Emmelkamp, P. M., Benner, A., Kuipers, A., Feiertag, G. A., Koster, H. C., & van Apeldoorn, F. J. (2006). Comparison of brief dynamic and cognitive–behavioural therapies in avoidant personality disorder.The british journal of psychiatry,189(1), 60-64.
-  Gabbard, G. O. (2000). Psychotherapy of personality disorders.The Journal of psychotherapy practice and research,9(1), 1.
- disorders cureParanoid Personality Disorder (PPD): Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- disorders cureNarcissistic Personality Disorder: Traits, Symptoms, Subtypes, Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment
- disorders cureWhat Is Autocannibalism: The Practice Of Eating Oneself (Biting Nails, Eating Boogers) And Its Causes
- wellnessHow To Manage The 5 Common Lifestyle Disorders: An Expert's Opinion
- disorders cure12 Effective Natural Remedies To Treat Dry Eyes
- disorders cureWhat Causes Eyelid Twitches (Myokymia) And How To Treat It
- disorders cureWhat Is Gaming Disorder And How It Can Be Treated
- wellnessStool Transplant Effective For Treating Intestinal Disorders, Claims Study
- disorders cureSocial Anxiety Disorder: Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Complications, Diagnosis And Treatment
- wellnessAre You Having Relationship Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Know Its Types, Causes And Treatment
- disorders cureGuide To Preparing Your Child With ADHD For School
- disorders cureDepersonalization-Derealization Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment