Tooth decay and cavities are among the world's most common oral health problems and half the world's population suffers from it. Most often these tooth problems are seen in children, teenagers and older adults.
Dental cavities are holes which form inside the teeth caused by tooth decay. It mostly occurs due to a bacterial infection that causes destruction of the hard tissues in the teeth. It also happens due to the lack of dental hygiene.
There are certain factors that increase the risk of getting cavities which include foods that stick to your teeth, frequent snacking, poor oral hygiene, dry mouth, etc. Eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia contribute to serious dental problems too.
The most common symptoms of tooth decay and cavities are toothache, tooth sensitivity, mild to sharp pain when eating or drinking, etc.
The treatments for tooth decay and cavities are crowns, root canals, and fillings.
You could try out these natural home remedies to prevent tooth decay and cavities.
Clove is used for treating any kind of dental issue, including cavities. It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antibacterial properties, that can help alleviate pain and prevent the cavity from spreading.
- Gently chew a clove to extract its oil.
- Then keep the clove under your tongue for several minutes.
Salt is excellent when it comes to treating cavities due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can reduce inflammation, ease pain, and prevent growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Swish this solution in your mouth for 1 minute.
- Do this 3 times a day until your symptoms subside.
Garlic is rich in antibacterial and antibiotic properties and is often recommended for tooth decay and cavities.
Crush 3 to 4 garlic cloves and 1/4 teaspoon of rock salt.
- Apply it on the infected tooth.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse.
- Do this twice daily.
Licorice root may help keep your teeth healthy and can prevent the growth of cavity-causing bacteria.
- Use dried licorice root powder to brush your teeth daily.
Turmeric has antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties that can help keep the gums healthy and prevent tooth decay.
- Apply some turmeric powder on the affected teeth.
- Leave it on for a few minutes.
6. Neem Leaves
Neem, is another effective remedy for treating cavities. It contains antibacterial properties that can easily destroy cavity-causing bacteria.
- Rub the juice of neem leaves on the teeth and gums.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and rinse.
- Do this once or twice daily.
Amla is high in antioxidants and vitamin C. It helps in combating bacteria and fights infections.
- Eat one fresh amla every day.
The anticariogenic properties present in nutmeg extract can be used to prevent cavities and tooth decay caused by cariogenic oral bacteria.
- Apply nutmeg oil directly on your teeth using cotton swabs.
The antibacterial properties in wheatgrass help fight tooth decay and cavities.
- Drink 1/2 glass of wheatgrass juice daily on an empty stomach.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can keep your mouth healthy, and gums strong due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Massage your teeth and gums with a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Rinse with warm water.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your loved ones.
ALSO READ: 10 Best Foods To Eat For Sickness
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Dailyhunt Trust Of The Nation Poll: Can 'Modi Wave' Help BJP Retain Power?
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite With 8 GB RAM Spotted On TENAA With Improved Cameras
- This Beautiful Town In Uttarakhand Is All You Need To Relax
- Did You Know That Cayenne Pepper Can Boost Hair Growth?
- BREAKING! Deepika Padukone & Ranveer Singh Confirm Their Wedding Date; Release Official Statement
- Mahindra KUV100 NXT AMT Spotted Testing In Bangalore
- India Vs Windies, 1st ODI, Highlights: Kohli And Rohit Fire India To Comprehensive Win
- AIIMS Delhi Recruitment 2018 For 2000 Nursing Assistants