- 3 hrs ago 4 DIY Hair Masks For Monsoon Season, To Manage Hair Fall And Dandruff
- 6 hrs ago Hadid Sisters Hit Runway For Marc Jacobs With Partially 'Shaved' Heads And Bleached Brows
- 6 hrs ago July 2022: Lucky And Unlucky Zodiac Signs This Month
- 7 hrs ago Expert Article: Pericoronitis, An Unfamiliar But Agonizing Dental Issue
- Finance BoB Capital Suggests Buy This Mid Cap Consumer Electricals Stock For 43% Potential Upside
- Sports WWE Friday Night Smackdown results, recap and highlights: July 1, 2022
- Movies Is it Ajith Vs Vijay For Pongal 2023? Fans Of Both The Actors Await With Bated Breath!
- Education IDBI Executive Call Letter 2022 Released For Online Examination, Download IDBI Bank Executive Admit Card
- News Anti terror agency roped in to probe murder of Maharashtra chemist
- Automobiles 2022 TVS iQube - Can It Compete With The Best Now?
- Technology Xiaomi 12S Series To Get Eco-Friendly Leather Rear Panel; Expected Features, Specs
- Travel Best Day Trips From Mumbai To Take Now
Of the vaccines against COVID-19 approved in India, Covovax would be a better booster for those who were administered Covishield jabs than another dose of the same vaccine, according to the data available presently, noted virologist Dr Shahid Jameel said.
Jameel, the former head of the advisory group to the Indian SARS-COV-2 Genomics Consortia (INSACOG), said there is no data for the other combinations of vaccines as of now.
"Data available at this time suggests that of the vaccines approved in India, Covovax would be a better booster in Covishield-vaccinated people than another dose of Covishield," he told PTI.
Officials have, however, said the "precaution dose" will be a third dose of the same vaccine that a person has taken.
Covovax has been developed by US-based vaccine maker Novavax Inc. that had announced a licence agreement with the Serum Institute of India (SII) for the development and commercialisation of NVX-CoV2373, its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, in low and middle-income countries and in India.
The central drug authority, CDSCO, approved Covovax on Monday. India is gearing up to tackle a possible third wave of the coronavirus pandemic as the Omicron variant of the virus, which is said to be much more infectious than the other strains of COVID-19, has surfaced.
The country has recorded 781 Omicron cases across 21 states and Union territories so far.
Of the patients, 241 have either recovered or migrated, according to the Union health ministry.
In an interview to news portal "The Wire", noted virologist Gagandeep Kang said there is presently no data in India regarding which vaccine should be used for the third dose.
However, she cited a UK study that gauged the immune response generated in individuals who have already received two doses of the AstraZeneca (Covishield) vaccine by either a booster dose of the same vaccine or one of the Novavax (known in India as Covovax) vaccine.
The study found that a third dose of Covishield increased the Geometric Mean Ratio (GMR) by 3.25, while a booster dose of Covovax increased the same by eight times and one of an mRNA vaccine did so by 24 times, she said.
- wellnessGovt Panel Recommends Emergency Approval For SII's Covovax For 7-11 Year Olds
- kidsDCGI Panel To Review On Friday SII Applications For Covovax’s Use Among Kids Aged 2-7 Yrs, 7-11 Yrs
- basicsNovavax's Covid-19 Vaccine Covovax Gets Emergency Use Authorisation For 12-17 Age Group In India
- kidsSerum Institute Seeks Covovax's Inclusion In Covid Vaccination Drive For 12 Years And Over
- wellnessDCGI Grants Emergency Use Authorisation To Covovax For 12-17 Years Age Group; Younger Age Groups To Follow
- wellnessGovt Panel Recommends Permission For Phase-3 Trial Of Covovax As Booster Dose In Adults
- wellnessSII Seeks Permission For Phase-3 Study Of Covid Vaccine Covovax As Booster Dose In Adults
- healthIndia-US Healthcare Collaboration In Spotlight As India Approves Two More Covid-19 Vaccines
- wellnessCovovax: Everything You Need To Know About The Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine Approved For India
- healthCovovax Approval To Strengthen Immunisation Efforts In India, Lower & Middle-Income Countries: SII
- healthPanel Recommends EUA For Covid-19 Vaccines Covovax, Corbevax And Anti-Covid Pill Molnupiravir
- healthSerum Institute CEO Hails WHO's Approval Of Covovax For Emergency Use