- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope: 04 March 2021
- 11 hrs ago Roohi Promotions: Rajkummar Rao Looks Dapper As Ever In His Lemon Yellow Kurta Set
- 11 hrs ago Maha Shivratri 2021: Things You Must Not Offer To Lord Shiva On This Day
- 11 hrs ago Vidya Balan’s Chic And Stylish Purple And Red Indo-Western Outfits Will Help You Rock This Wedding Season
- Technology Most Rated Samsung Smartphones On Amazon In India
- Movies Vivian Dsena To Re-Enter Shakti - Astitva Ke Ehsaas Ki In A Powerful Cameo Role?
- News TN election: In talks with 'like-minded' parties for alliance, says Kamal Haasan
- Sports India vs England: Pitch looks very similar to last Test: Root
- Automobiles 2021 Renault Triber Changes Leaked Ahead Of India Launch: Updates & Feature Additions
- Education Monthly Scholarship Of Rs 7000 For Class 11 And 12 Students
- Finance HDFC Bank Cuts Home Loan Rates By 5bps: Check What Other Banks Are Offering
- Travel Top Summer Holiday Destinations in India
The festival of Pongal is almost upon us. It is the biggest festival of Tamil Nadu and celebrated with much vigour. This harvest festival is based around the recipe of Pongal, a dish that is made mainly with rice. There are many types of Pongal, some are sweet and others are spicy or salty. But the Pongal recipe that we are making today is a little different; it is Rava Pongal.
All Pongal recipes are traditionally prepared with rice. However, Rava Pongal is a delicious and healthy alternative to rice. The rava used in the Pongal is both filling and nutritious. Rava Pongal is not starchy like rice and has complex carbohydrates. So if you are on a weight loss diet, then Rava Pongal is the best dish for you.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Rava- 1 cup
- Moong dal- 1/2 cup
- Ghee- 4tbsp
- Curry leaves- 10
- Cashew nuts- 8
- Ginger- 1 inch (chopped finely)
- Green chillies- 2 (chopped)
- Peppercorns- 6
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Pressure cook the moong dal with 1 cup of water for the duration of 2 whistles.
- Heat 1tbsp ghee in a pan. Add the rava and saute for 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
- Then add another 1tbsp ghee, peppercorns and cumin seeds to it. Fry for 2 minutes more and then remove from flame.
- When it cools to room temperature, grind the fried cumin seeds and pepper into a powder.
- Now boil 1 cup of water in a deep bottomed pan. When it bubbles, add the boiled dal and the fried rava in this pan.
- Add some ghee to the pan (a 1tsp at a time) and keep stirring.
- Also, add the powdered pepper and cumin seeds to this pan. Cook it for another 7-8 minutes.
- Heat 1tbsp ghee in a small pan and season it with curry leaves, cashew nuts and green chillies. Prepare the seasoning for 1 minute and then pour it over the Rava Pongal.
You can serve Rava Pongal instead of the traditional rice dish for your Pongal feast.