It takes less than 20 minutes to try this dahi vada recipe if you have soaked the dal overnight. You can also make the paste used in this Indian snacks recipe, a day in advance. In that way you will just need about ten minutes to fry the vadas and serve it with a yogurt topping. Being a Holi recipe it cannot be expected to have low calories. It is deep fried, yes but unhealthy, no.
Ingredients For Dahi Vada:
1. Curd 100 grams
2. Urad dal or black gram 1 cup
3. Moong dal or green gram 1 cup
4. Green chillies 3-4
5. Asfoetida or hing 1 pinch
6. Garam Masala (pepper, cinnamon, cardamon, cloves and star anise) 1 teaspoon
7. Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
8. Tamarind slush 4 tablespoons
9. Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
10. Ghee 1 tablespoons
11. Oil for deep frying (half a pan)
12. Salt as per taste
Procedure For Dahi Vada:
- Soak the two dals (pulses) in water overnight. The tamarind too needs to be soaked in just a cup full of water overnight if possible.
- When you are making the dish, grind the two dals with green chillies, salt and pinch of asfoetida into a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and then the oil starts steaming put blotches of the paste in the oils for deep frying.
- When the vadas start turning golden brown, strain them from the oil and dab with tissue papers to absorb extra oil.
- Soak the hot vadas is water to release the heat for about 5 minutes.
- Grind the tamarind with the water you have soaked it in to make a thick slush of tamarind.
- Beat the curd nice and sprinkle garam masala, salt and red chilli powder on it. Pour it over the vadas on a dish. Pour the tamarind slush over this.
- Now heat ghee in a pan and fry cumin seeds in it; you can also add a pinch of hing to it. Pour the steaming fried cumin seeds as the top most layer of the dish.
Serve spicy tangy Dahi Vadas on the festive occasion of Holi.