- News Army jawan commits suicide with his service rifle in J&K
- Movies Jonty Rhodes' Reaction While Watching Gully Boy: 'I Laughed, Cried And Had Goosebumps'
- Finance SBI Slashes Recurring Deposit Rate
- Technology Microsoft India Announces Discount For Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Live Gold Price Subscription
- Sports Hit by Cummins, Shikhar Dhawan could be available for series-decider in Bengaluru
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
Since thanksgiving is a harvest festival, your family and friends will not only thank nature but also would thank you for the tasty recipe. In the modern array, many would want to try new recipes with traditional to make the event more exciting.
Here is a healthy Thanksgiving recipe that is also said to be enjoyed at the White House
Apple Pie - Thanksgiving Recipe
Ingredients for the crust:
10 ounces butter (unsalted, kept cold)
3 ounces lard/ solid vegetable oil (kept cold)
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup water (ice water)
Ingredients for the filling:
2 pounds of apples
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla (extract)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Zest and 1 lemon juice
Ingredients for Egg wash:
1 tsp salt
Sugar, for garnishing
Method for the crust:
1. Cut the butter and lard into little chunks. Finely grind flour, sugar and salt in a processor. Add the butter and lard and again pulse the mixture until it forms small crumbs. Pulse one more time adding ice water just until a dough forms.
2. Shape the dough in the form of disks and wrap each disk in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour(preferably) overnight.
3. When chilled, prepare the pie shell: On a floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll out a disk into a circle(14 inch). Transfer the dough into a pie pan, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Refrigerate the crust in the pan for at least half an hour.
4. When ready to bake the crust, heat oven to 370 degrees. Line the cold crust with foil and fill with baking weights to hold it in place. Bake the pie shell for half an hour and remove from oven. Leave the oven once the crust is ready. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
Method for filling:
1. Peel the outer layer of the apples and cut them into pieces. In a
saucepan, toss the mixture of apples, sugar, honey, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon zest and juice. Bake it 20 minutes.
2. Boil the fruit mixture over medium heat. Keep stiring until the fruit thickens.
Let it cool.
3. When the filling has cooled, pour it into the baked crust.
Method for the top crust and egg wash:
1. Now, roll the second disk of dough to a circle (12 inch).
2. In a bowl, add the egg beat with salt. Brush the egg mixture on the edges of the cooked crust with a pastry brush. Place the top crust over the filling. Gently crimp the top crust, sealing the pie around the edges.
3. Slit the top of the crust with a paring knife to create steam vents. Brush the egg wash over the crust, then garnish with sugar.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the filling is boiling and the top crust is golden brown. Let cool for 1 to 2 hours before serving. Tasty apple pie is ready to serve.
The Apple pie recipe serves 8.
Enjoy the celebrations with this healthy thanksgiving recipe and also let us know on how it turned out.