- 3 hrs ago Bigg Boss 16 ‘Circus Theme’ House Reflects Bold Colours, Effervescent Patterns, And Eclectic Vibe
- 4 hrs ago Nobel Prize For Literature: French Writer Annie Ernaux Wins Award
- 4 hrs ago Amazon Great Indian Festival: Breathe Easy, This Sale Season: Upto 40% Off On Air Purifier
- 4 hrs ago Karva Chauth 2022: Alia Bhatt To Katrina Kaif, Red Ethnic Outfit Ideas From Bollywood Divas
- News IRCTC introduces affordable tour package to Shimla and Manali: Check fare, itinerary
- Sports ISL 2022-23: Kerala Blasters vs East Bengal; Preview, Kick-off time, Live telecast and Live Streaming details
- Finance How To Recover Money Transferred At Wrong UPI Address?
- Movies Goodbye Movie Review: Big B-Rashmika Mandanna's Film Gets Its Emotions Right Despite Few 'Hics' On The Way
- Automobiles New Ola Electric Scooter Incoming: Will Be Launched Around Diwali & Priced At Around Rs 80,000
- Technology Redmi Pad Review: Redefining Budget Tablet Category
- Education Jamia Millia Islamia launches new MSc Virology program: know details and how to apply
- Travel Sahara Desert: Largest Hot Desert in The World
Indian Bollywood singer Lata Mangeshkar died at the age of 92 in Mumbai. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on Saturday. "I am anguished beyond words. The kind and caring Lata Didi has left us. She leaves a void in our nation that cannot be filled," Modi wrote on Twitter.
The singer died of multiple organ failure at Breach Candy hospital in Mumbai, her doctor Pratit Samdani told reporters. She was hospitalised on January 8 after contracting COVID-19.
Born in Maharashtra on September 28, 1929, Mangeshkar had a singing career that spanned more than 73 years and sang an estimated 15,000 songs (some say 30,000) in 36 languages.
She started her musical training early under her father Deenanath Mangeshkar, singing in his theatrical productions when she was five. Her father's death when she was only 13 forced her to support four younger siblings.
The family eventually moved to Mumbai, India's film industry capital, in 1945. There, Lata Mangeshkar pursued a career as a playback singer, and eventually became a mega star.
Mangeshkar was revered as the "Melody Queen'" and "Nightingale of India," famed for her smooth but sharp voice. The legendary singer performed everything from patriotic songs to romantic numbers, both in films and albums.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more details become available.
Dinodia Photoimage via DW News
- menPM Narendra Modi Receives 1st Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Award At Ceremony In Mumbai
- womenLata Mangeshkar: A Look At The Legendary Singer’s Iconic Sarees
- art cultureLata Mangeshkar: The Legendary Indian Singer's Journey, As She Leaves For Her Heavenly Abode
- womenLata Mangeshkar Birthday: Lesser-Known Facts About 'The Nightingale Of India'
- womenHappy Birthday Lata Mangeshkar: Her Early Life, Career And Awards
- fashion trendsRanu Mondal's New Wardrobe Includes Gorgeous Saris And Gold Jewellery
- newsWatch: Social Media Sensation Ranu Mondal Records Her First Song For Himesh Reshammiya
- insyncLata Mangeshkar Celebrates 79th Birthday
- insyncSalman unveils his statue at Madame Tussauds
- menKK Dies At 53: Facts About The Renowned Playback Singer-Songwriter
- womenLataMangeshkar Facts: Life And Times Of The Nightingale Of India
- art cultureI'd Do Anything For Love Singer Meat Loaf Passes Away At 74: Tribute