People are getting diet conscious these days. To prevent oneself from having health problems, people are including healthy food alternatives in their foods list. For example, paneer is filled with fat and calories (if made without skimmed milk). Tofu has therefore become a healthy alternative for this dairy product. Paneer, also known as cottage cheese, is one of the basic ingredients used in most on the vegetarian main course dishes.
Diabetic patients have to be very selective with their dishes. So, if you have high blood sugar levels, you can try this healthy recipe. Tofu with sprouts is a yummy main course dish that can be teamed up with both plain rice or noodles. Here is the method to prepare tofu and sprouts recipe.
Tofu with sprouts recipe:
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
- Bean sprouts- ½ cup (soaked overnight)
- Tofu- ½ cup (cube shaped)
- Spring onions- ½ cup
- Varagu or barley- 3 cups (cooked)
- Sugar- 1 pinch
- Chinese 5 spice powder- 2tsp (consists of Schezwan peppercorn, clove, star anise, fennel seeds and cinnamon)
- Heat a medium sized pan. Roast the Chinese 5 spice powder ingredients for 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Let it cool. Grind the roasted spices into a powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pan. Saute the spring onions for a minute on a medium flame.
- When the spring onions become soft, add 2tsp of the Chinese spice powder that you prepared before. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the sprouts and tofu in the pan and mix well. Be careful so that you do not break the tofu cubes. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add barley or Varagu.
- Saute well so that the masala is absorbed.
- Add salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for another minute. Take the pan off flame once the sugar granules melt.
- The Chinese 5 spice powder can be stored for later usage.
- Keep it in an air-tight container to avoid getting lumps in the powder.
Tofu with sprouts recipe is ready. Serve it hot with plain rice or noodles.