Chana (chickpeas in English) is a very popular Punjabi dish. This spicy dish has become very famous in many parts of the country. Also known as chola, chana can be used as a side dish with rice, roti or as a topping over chana tikki chaat. You can even boil chana and use it as a stuffing for your parathas. However, chana bhatura is a very famous combination in north India.
There are many ways to make kabuli chana, but Peshawari chana is an all time favourite treat for the Punjabi food lovers. It is made with boiled chickpeas, Indian spices and vegetables. Check out the recipe.
Peshawari chana masala recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Chana- 2 cups
- Onions- 2 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes- 2 (finely chopped or grated)
- Ginger- 1 inch (minced)
- Garlic paste- 2tbsp
- Green chillies- 4-5 (slit)
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp
- Chana masala- 1tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Cumin powder- 1tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Dry red chilli- 1
- Tea bags- 2
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2tbsp (finely chopped)
- Wash the chana and soak it overnight in water.
- In the morning, wash the chana and then add in pressure cooker. Pour water and then add tea leaves. Sprinkle ½ tsp salt. Pressure cook for 6-8 whistles. Let the pressure release from the cooker.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and then season with bay leaf and dry red chilli. Add onion, minced ginger and garlic paste. Cook on medium flame for 1-2 minutes till the onions become golden brown.
- Now add green chillies, tomatoes or its puree and cook on medium flame. Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder red chilli powder, chana masala and coriander powder. Mix and add the boiled chana with tea water into the pan.
- If you have more water in the cooker, add less in the pan. You can either make dry or red chana masala. Ideally, Peshawari chana has thick gravy.
- Cook the chana till the water boils and the gravy thickens.
Peshawari chana is ready to eat. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot. You can enjoy this spicy and delicious side dish with roti, pulao or tikkis.