Spinach is considered as a superfood that has many health and nutritional benefits. Spinach has dietary fiber that aids digestion. Apart from being good digestive vegetable, it is also low in calories which makes it heart-friendly. Spinach also has anti-oxidants especially Vitamin C which is good for the overall health.
There are many spinach recipes listed in different cuisines. Spinach is known as palak in Hindi. Spinach or palak pulao is a main course side dish that is easy to prepare and filling too. You can either prepare it in a deep bottomed bowl on the gas or try the microwave recipe. Check out the recipe.
Spinach or palak pulao, main course recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Rice- 1 cup
- Spinach- ½ cup (chopped)
- Onion- 1 (chopped)
- Carrot- 2 (chopped or grated)
- Green chillies- 2 (chopped)
- Cinnamon- 1 inch
- Clove- 2
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- 2tsp
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- In a deep microwave dish, add oil, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, onions and green chillies. Microwave uncovered for around 3 minutes.
- Now add the chopped spinach and carrots. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and black pepper powder. Mix and then add the soaked rice with very less water.
- Mix well and microwave uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Stir at intervals to allow even cooking.
Spinach or palak pulao is ready to eat. Serve this main course side dish hot with raita and pickle.