Dal khichdi is one of those quintessential khichdi recipes coming out of your grandmother's kitchen. Whenever you are tired or sick you long for some hot dal khichdi to be served to you by your mom. If you are already steeped in nostalgia then there is good news for you. Khichdi recipes are usually quite easy to prepare and this one is no exception. Once you get a hang of the proportions of ingredients then preparing this Indian rice recipe is a piece of cake.
It is needless to say that the ingredients for this dal khichdi recipe are quite simple and you will find all of them without fail in any average Indian kitchen. The only utensil you need for attempting this Indian rice recipe is a pressure cookers. In fact this khichdi recipe can be prepared in your microwave as well which is why it is a healthy Indian recipe.
Ingredients For Dal Khichdi:
1. Dal or Pulses 1 cup (moong or toor)
2. Rice 1 cup
3. Potato 1 (cubed into quarters)
4. Carrots 2 (choped into medium sized pieces)
5. Cauliflower quarter (4-5 pieces)
6. Onion 1 (chopped)
7. Ginger 2 inches (grated)
8. Tomato 1 (grated)
9. Green chillies 3-4 (chopped)
10. Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
11. Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
12. Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
13. Bay leaves 2
14. Pepper corns 5
15. Cinnamon sticks 2
16. Cloves 5
17. Cardamom 4
18. Mustard oil 2 tablespoons
19. Ghee 1 tablespoon
20. Salt as per taste
Procedure For Dal Khichdi:
- Heat a pan on the flame and dry roast the dal or pulses in it. Dry it without oil by stirring regularly for 2-3 minutes.
- Then heat oil in the pressure cooker and lightly fry the potatoes and cauliflowers in it. Strain them in a plate with tissue papers and keep them aside.
- Now add the bay leaves, cumin seeds, pepper corns, cinnamon sticks, cardamom and cloves for tempering the khichdi.
- Saute the onions until they are golden brown and then add the grated ginger and tomato pulp to it. Add salt and stir it well to mix. Then add red chilli and cumin powder and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the washed rice and dal to these spices and fry it for 3-4 minutes too. Add the carrots and green chillies, stir to mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Wait for 3-4 whistles on high flames or 2-3 on low flame. Add ghee on the top and you are done
Your dal khichdi is ready; you can enjoy it hot with some crispy fries.