- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 18 January 2021
- 14 hrs ago 28 Best Foods To Lower Cholesterol
- 18 hrs ago Floral- Perfect! Pooja Hegde’s Pink Traditional Outfit Is Ideal For Upcoming Festive Occasions
- 20 hrs ago From Purple Hair To Blue Eye Shadow To Pink Lipstick, Lady Gaga’s Recent Look Is All About Colours
- Movies Krack Day 8 Box Office Collection: Ravi Teja Starrer Refuses To Slow Down
- Technology Flipkart Big Shopping Days Sale: Republic Day Offers On Electronics And Other Accessories Gadgets
- Sports Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: Stalemate keeps Red Devils top of Premier League
- News Parliament panel summons Facebook and Twitter officials on Jan 21
- Automobiles Kawasaki Bikes Offers & New-Year Discounts For January 2021: Benefits Of Rs 50,000 On Select Models
- Finance 3 Housing Finance Stocks That Can Generate Solid Returns
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Uttar Pradesh In January
- Education Bihar Board 12th Admit Card 2021, Download BSEB Intermediate Admit Card 2021 at biharboardonline.com
In the northern states of India, Lohri is considered to be a major festival. However, with the growing popularity of the festival, people in most parts of the country celebrate the festival. On this day, people prepare revdi, peanuts, gajak and jiggery and offer the same to the holy fire of Lohri. While offering the things to the fire, people also revolve around the fire. This year the festival will be observed on 13 January 2021.
Significance Of Lohri
- Lohri is usually celebrated a day before Makar Sankranti, though both the festivals are similar.
- People enjoy this festival, by walking around the fire and singing and dancing.
- Punjabi men perform Bhangra while women perform gidda which are basically the Punjabi folk dance.
- It is said that the word Lohdi has been derived from two different words namely Lah meaning dried upper leaf and Dhi meaning Revdi.
- People worship new crops on Lohdi and express their gratitude to nature.
- Listening to the story of Dulla Batti is considered to have great significance.
- One should worship Lohri while facing the west direction.
- The puja should begin by first placing the picture or portrait of Mahadev on a piece of black cloth.
- Now light an earthen lamp in front of the picture of the Goddess and offer vermillion to her.
- You also need to offer Belpatra to the Goddess along with camphor in coconut shells, revdi, corn and peanuts.
- Now revolve around the fire at least 7 times.
- Chant 'Om Sati Shambhavi Shivpriya Swaha' with dedication.