- 1 hr ago Expert Article: Quit Smoking To Reduce Your Risk On Tongue Cancer
- 2 hrs ago Unlucky Plants: Avoid Growing These Nine Forbidden Plants At Home, As Per Vastu
- 3 hrs ago Fasting In Hinduism: What You Need To Know
- 5 hrs ago Sindhu Darshan Festival 2022: Date, Time, Celebrations, History And Significance
- News Being between 'devil and deep sea': Chidambaram on states' situation after Centre's excise cut on fuel
- Automobiles Kia EV6: Top 10 Things To Know
- Movies Bigg Boss Telugu Non-Stop Winner: Bindu Madhavi Takes Home The Trophy
- Sports UFC Vegas 55 results and recap: Vieira earns split decision over former bantamweight champion Holm
- Technology Is Xiaomi 12 Pro The Fastest 5G Smartphone In The World? Here Is The Answer
- Education ICSE ISC Examination 2023 To Held Once A Year, ICSE And ISC Syllabus Revised. Check Details And Download Link
- Finance Fuel Rates Slashed Following Excise Duty Cut: Check New Rates
- Travel Best Camping Site Near Pune And Mumbai – Pawna Lake Camping, 1N/2D
Bonderam Day is a festival that is celebrated on 24 August every year at Divar Island, 12 km from Panjim, Goa. On this day, a carnival is set up and the quaint island of Divar is agog with excitement. The people participate in music, song, and dance and celebrations galore.
History And Significance Of Bonderam Day
In two sections of the village Piedade and Sao Mathias, frequent disputes used to occur over land issues. This led to blood fights and sometimes even death. Then, the Portuguese introduced a system to demarcate boundaries. They used flags to divide their boundaries and set up banners to stamp zones so that the villagers would not be able to take control over the lands of the close by towns.
However, the villagers knocked down the flags and challenged them by destroying the banners. The Bonderam festival is celebrated in memory of this incident and is commemorated with a Fotash flight (toy weapon of a bamboo stem). Berries are used as missiles in a mock fight between groups of people.
People from different parts of Goa assemble in the village every year on this day for this colourful celebration.
- pulseGujarat Day 2022: Date, History And Significance Of The Day
- wellnessWorld Health Day 2022: Date, Theme, History And Significance Of The Day
- menInternational Men’s Day 2020: History, Theme And Significance Of This Day
- lifeInternational Day Of Families 2021: History, Theme And Significance Of This Day
- pulseWorld Savings Day 2019: History And Why It Is Celebrated
- nutritionWorld Food Day 2019: History And How It Is Celebrated
- wellnessWorld Spine Day 2019: Date, Theme And History
- pulseWorld Students' Day 2021: Date, History And Objective
- insyncWorld Post Day 2019: Date, Significance And History
- healthWorld Deaf Day 2019: Date, Significance, History And Objectives
- wellnessWorld Heart Day 2019: Theme, History And Significance
- pulseInternational Day Against Nuclear Tests 2019: A Look At The Worst Nuclear Disasters In History