- 1 hr ago Doja Cat's Faux Mustache And Beard Look Reads Quirky At PFW 2023, Pics!
- 2 hrs ago Bitter Foods For Babies: Is It Healthy? How To Get Your Baby To Eat Bitter Foods? List Of Safe Foods
- 3 hrs ago Huma Qureshi's Monochrome Outfit Is All About Acing Casual Chic Style, Pics!
- 4 hrs ago How To Discipline Children Without Punishment
- News Several attempts made to break India, but no one could finish it, says PM Modi
- Sports ISL: Mumbai City beat Jamshedpur 2-1; extends 16-match unbeaten streak
- Travel Before You Turn 30 Try These ‘Offbeat’ Water Sports In India
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: EX Contestant Calls Priyanka & THESE Contestants ‘Most Deserving’ Top 3, Says ‘I Can Feel It’
- Finance 4 Best Performing Axis Mutual Fund Schemes Over Last 3-years
- Technology Samsung Galaxy S23 Series Indian Prices Leak: Accessories For Flagship Android Phones Surface Too
- Education How to begin a Career in Dubbing / Voice Over in India
- Automobiles Tata Motors Announces Price Hike – Check Out All Details
Varamahalakshmi Pooja or Varalakshmi Vrat is an important ritual dedicated to Goddess Varamahalakshmi/ Goddess Lakshmi. Married women in south India and Maharashtra observe many rituals associated with this fast for the welfare and prosperity of their families.
It is celebrated in the month of Shravan, on Friday that precedes the full moon. Varamahalakshmi Pooja 2021 falls on 20 August. The preparations for the Pooja are usually done a day before i.e, the Thursday that comes before the full moon.
Like most Indian rituals, Varamahalakshmi Puja also has many stories behind it. The most popular one recounts the tale of Charumati. It is believed that once, Parvati asked her consort Lord Shiva about what should women do to achieve everything they wanted - good marital life, children, grandchildren and material wealth. Shiva replied that any woman who performs the Varamahalakshmi Puja would be blessed with all that she wants in life and goes on to narrate the story of Charumathi.
In the country of Magadha, there lived a pious lady named Charumathi. She was a paragon of virtue. She was so perfect as a wife, a daughter-in-law and a mother. Pleased with her, Goddess Lakshmi once appeared before Charumathi in her dreams and asked her to worship her on the Friday that precedes the full moon day in the month of Shravan. She also promised that if she dutifully performs the Puja, she would be granted all her wishes.
Charumathi did as she was told and also asked her neighbours and friends to join in. It is said that by the end of the Puja, the women were decked in gold and precious stones and their homes turned to those of gold. The women continued to perform the Pooja for the rest of their lives and lived in prosperity and happiness.
Here is a list of the points to be kept in mind while performing Varamahalakshmi Pooja:
The Auspicious Time For Performing the Varamahalakshmi Pooja
The Pooja should not be conducted during the Rahu Kalam. The Simha Lagna Puja Muhurat is between 06:27 AM to 08:44 AM on August 9, 2019, the Vrishchika Lagna Puja Muhurat is between 01:20 PM to 03:39 PM on August 9, the Kumbha Lagna Puja Muhurat timing is between 07:25 PM to 08:52 PM on August 9, while the Vrishabha Lagna Puja Muhurat is between 11:53 PM to 01:48 AM on August 9-10.
In certain parts of India, it is believed that the Varalakshmi Pooja must be performed in the evening or the time when the cows return home after grazing.
The Shlokas To Be Chanted During Varamahalakshmi Pooja
Lakshmi Sahasranamam and Lakshmi Ashtotram.
Food That Can Be Consumed On Varamahalakshmi Pooja
The various kinds of sundal are commonly consumed this day. Obbattu and other sweets are also eaten. In some parts of the country, fasting is mandatory when performing the Pooja and one should eat only after the Pooja is over.
Fasting on Varamahalakshmi Pooja
The fasting is done from morning and till the Pooja is over. You may choose not to fast if working, pregnant, are sick or are under medication.
What To Do If You Miss The Varamahalakshmi Pooja?
If the Varamahalakshmi Pooja is missed or you fail to observe it due to any circumstances, you may choose to do it the following Friday or during the Friday in Navaratri Festival.
The Varamahalakshmi Thread
It is important to tie a yellow thread with nine knots and a flower in the center on your right hand after the Puja. It is an important part of the ritual.
Things Not To Do
- Varamahalakshmi Pooja must not be imposed on any one. Nowadays, there may be people who may not want to perform the Pooja. If this is the reason, then they should not be forced to perform the Pooja, because the results can only be availed if the Puja is done with a willing and devoted mind.
- The Pooja should not be performed by a lady who has recently given birth and the baby is not yet 22 days old as it is considered inappropriate.
- insyncSuraj Kund International Crafts Mela 2023: Know About Date, Timings, Venue And Other Details
- festivalsThai Amavasya 2023: Date, Celebrations At Rameswaram, Kanyakumari, And Remedies For Shani Dosha
- insyncMe-Dam-Me-Phi: Know About An Ancient Festival Celebrated By Ahom people In Assam
- festivalsJallikattu 2023: Know About The Bull Taming Festival Celebrated During Pongal In Tamil Nadu
- festivalsUttarayan 2023: Date, Time, Legends, And Significance
- festivalsMakar Sankranti 2023: Know About Date, time, Rituals, Legends And Significance
- pulseSunburn Festival 2022: Dates, History, Celebrations, How To Reach And Nearby Places
- insyncHornbill Festival In Nagaland: Know Interesting Details About The Festival Of Naga Tribes
- decorNavratri 2022: 10 Best Festival Home Decor Ideas For The Auspicious Festival
- festivalsAndal Jayanti 2022: Date, Rituals, Bhog, Legend, History And Significance
- festivalsBenefits Of Applying Sindoor On Main Door, As Per Vastu Shastra
- festivalsMay Month 2022: Auspicious Dates For Wedding, House Warming, Naming Ceremony And More This Month