- 7 hrs ago 28 Best Foods To Lower Cholesterol
- 11 hrs ago Floral- Perfect! Pooja Hegde’s Pink Traditional Outfit Is Ideal For Upcoming Festive Occasions
- 13 hrs ago From Purple Hair To Blue Eye Shadow To Pink Lipstick, Lady Gaga’s Recent Look Is All About Colours
- 16 hrs ago Upma Recipe: How To Make It At Home
- Movies Aari Arjuna Bags Bigg Boss Tamil 4 Trophy
- News Parliament panel summons Facebook and Twitter officials on Jan 21
- Sports BCCI remains undecided on Ranji or Hazare Trophy, women's domestic season expected from March
- Technology Motorola Nio Design Tipped Via Leaked Hand-On Images; To Flaunt Dual-Slefie Camera Module
- Automobiles Kawasaki Bikes Offers & New-Year Discounts For January 2021: Benefits Of Rs 50,000 On Select Models
- Finance 3 Housing Finance Stocks That Can Generate Solid Returns
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Uttar Pradesh In January
- Education Bihar Board 12th Admit Card 2021, Download BSEB Intermediate Admit Card 2021 at biharboardonline.com
You may have heard of sacred texts and places. But have you ever heard of the term 'sacred language'? You must not have unless you are a religious scholar. Languages are also holy by virtue of their use. None of the human beings can presume to dictate the language of the Gods. However, some languages are considered scared because religious texts are written in these scripts.
For example, Latin is the holy language of the Catholic Church because all the customs of the church are carried out in this language. Similarly, when Hindu's chant mantras, it is usually in Sanskrit. That is why, Sanskrit is the sacred language of Hinduism.
Here are the 5 most sacred languages in the world and also why these languages are considered holy.
Hebrew is the only sacred language in the world that is still 'living'. A language is living or dead based on how many people use it as their mother tongue. Hebrew had been a dead language since the time of Christ's death. But when the state of Israel was carved out in 1947, the new country adopted Hebrew as the national language. 40 million Jews learned to speak and write in a language that had been dead for centuries.
Sanskrit is also a dead language for all practical purposes because nobody uses it as a means of communication any more. However all Hindu rites, pujas and rituals are completed only with the chanting of Sanskrit shlokas and hymns.
Greek is a language in which the new testament of the Bible was written. It is also the language in which all the first Christian religious texts, including the gospels were written. Greek is still used as the main language of the Church in the Greek Orthodox Church. It is one of the oldest holy languages in the world although it not used in the exact form any more.
Just like Greek is the language of the Bible, Latin is the language in Church. The Roman Catholic Church was based in Italy and Latin, the language of the Italians, thus had monopoly over Church proceedings. Some of the major religious texts in the later part of Christianity have been written in this language.
Islam uses classical or old Arabic as its language of instruction. The Koran is written in this old form of Arabic and so are a number of other religious scriptures in Islam. Different dialects of Arabic are still spoken in the Gulf countries, but they are slightly different from the Koranic Arabic.
These are the 5 most sacred languages in the world. There are other languages such as Pali, Tamil and Syrian that are holy in certain parts of the world.