- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 08 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 2 hrs ago Amazon Great Freedom Sale 2022: Bring Home Boho Home Furnishing Items And Save Up To 70%
- 9 hrs ago Dustin Hoffman Birthday Special Irresistibly Versatile Actor Turns 85
- 18 hrs ago It’s Raining Offers On Amazon: Bag 60% Off On Handbags Today!
- Movies Paappan Box Office Collection 10 Days: Suresh Gopi's Investigation Drama Is A Superhit!
- Sports CWG 2022: Indian women’s cricket team clinch silver in first-ever Games final as Aus bag gold with 9-run win
- News BJP-JDU rift widens? Bihar CM Kumar calls meeting of party MLAs, MPs
- Education How Can MSc Business Analytics Boost Your Career Growth?
- Automobiles Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Launched At Rs 1,49,900 - The Lightest Enfield
- Travel Phang Nga Bay: James Bond Island
- Finance 'Cipla' Betting Big on Digitisation And Emerging Segments
- Technology Jio Games Watch Will Let You Earn Money While Gaming
Margaret Alva is a former governor of Rajasthan and a current candidate for the Vice President elections from the joint opposition, as announced on 17 July, Sunday.
The politician, who is 80 years old, will compete in the vice presidential elections on August 6 against Jagdeep Dhankhar, the nominee of the National Democratic Alliance and the current governor of West Bengal.
Tomorrow on 19 July, which is the deadline for filing nominations for the election to be held on August 6, Alva would submit her nomination paperwork. She is a lawyer and is from Mangaluru, Karnataka. She served as governor of four states and was a member of both houses of parliament.
The unanimous decision to run Alva for the VP elections was made at a meeting of 17 opposition party leaders at the home of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Sharad Pawar. The meeting was held for two hours. According to Pawar, with the backing of the Trinamool Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party, a total of 19 parties could be supporting Alva as their joint candidate.
Facts About Margaret Alva
- Margaret Alva was born in Mangalore, Karnataka on 14 April, 1942.
- She persuaded a BA and an LL.B. from Mt. Carmel College and Government Law College in Bengaluru.
- At the beginning of her career, Alva worked as a lawyer.
- In 1964, she wed Niranjan Alva, with whom she had three sons and a daughter. In 2018, her husband passed away due to sickness.
- Alva's husband and father-in-law had a big impact on her decision to get into politics in 1969.
- Between 1975 and 1977, she held the position of Joint Secretary of the All India Congress Committee, and between 1978 and 1980, she held the position of General Secretary of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Alva was elected by the Congress to the Rajya Sabha four times, in 1974, 1980, 1986, and 1992.
- She served as the Union minister for legislative affairs, women and child development, youth and sports and human resource development during this time as well as vice-chair of the Rajya Sabha.
- In 1999, she won a seat in the Lok Sabha by winning the Uttara Kannada district.
- She then served as Rajasthan's governor for two years, from May 2012 to August 2013. In 2014, she also served for a brief time as governor of Gujarat and Goa.
- She became the first woman governor of Uttarakhand.
- Her selection as the vice presidential candidate comes before the Karnataka elections to be held in 2023. This indicates the opposition's desire to nominate a candidate who is "representative of a diverse country," according to AICC general secretary of communication Jairam Ramesh.
- fashion trendsJennifer Lopez Looks A Class Apart In Her Head To Toe White Ensemble At President’s Inauguration Ceremony
- trends n styleNilgiri's Launches Range Of "Namkeens"
- hair careHair Restoration In A Unique Way!
- pulseFlag Adoption Day 2022: Date, History, Origin, Significance and Facts about The Indian Tricolour
- pulseBlind Psychic Baba Vanga’s Predictions: Past And Future, Healing, And Controversy
- art cultureIndian Festival Of Holi In Germany: The Colourful Summer Party
- pulseIndependence Day 2022: Date, History, Significance, And Celebrations
- pulseIndependence Day 2022: Greetings, Wishes, Quotes, SMS And WhatsApp Messages
- wellnessHCG Cancer Hospital Offers India’s First Extended Reality Lab Using Microsoft HoloLens 2
- disorders cureWorld TB Day: More Than 40% Of Indian Population Carry Tuberculosis Infection But Only 10% Get The Disease
- kidsOpinion: Did COVID-19 In India Take Away Safety Net Of Poor School-Going Children?
- pulseRepublic Day Celebrations To Begin From Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Birth Anniversary On January 23 Every Year