- 58 min ago Aamir Khan's Laal Singh Chaddha Look Is So In Tune With The Fashion Sensibilities Of A Common Man
- 1 hr ago Mickey Mouse 91st Birthday: Lesser Known Facts About Disney's Most Famous Cartoon Character
- 1 hr ago Dysphagia (Swallowing Difficulty): Types, Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Diagnosis And Treatment
- 1 hr ago This Winter Season, Get Ready To Raise The Temperature With These New Hair Colour Trends
- Automobiles Mercedes-Benz Luxe Drive Live 2019 Held In Mumbai: A Unique Taste Of The Mercedes-Benz Lifestyle
- News Amid Maharashtra turmoil, PM Modi's praise for Sharad Pawar's NCP raises eyebrows
- Sports Real Madrid star Hazard singled out as Mikel's laziest former team-mate
- Movies Tanushree Dutta Slams Channel & Neha Kakkar For Working With Anu Malik; Supports Sona Mohapatra
- Technology Reliance Jio Now Lets You Pick Landline Calls On Your Smartphone
- Finance HDFC Bank Cuts FD Interest Rates By As Much As 0.15%
- Travel Hajo - The Pride Of Assam
- Education JEE Main 2020 Sample Question Paper With Solution For Numerical Value Section
It is the birth anniversary of India's braveheart, Neerja Bhanot, on 7 September. The flight attendant sacrificed her life while saving passengers on Pan Am Flight 73, which was hijacked by terrorists during a stopover in Karachi, Pakistan, on 5 September 1986, two days before her 23rd birthday.
She was shot by the terrorists while helping the passengers escape through the emergency exit. Her life and heroism inspired the biopic Neerja and her role was essayed by Bollywood actor Sonam Kapoor. She had put up a picture of Neerja in remembrance of her death anniversary and had tweeted saying, "Her life was a gift to us all. #RememberingNeerjaBhanot".
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Sonam K Ahuja (@sonamkapoor) on
Here are some lesser known facts about Neerja Bhanot.
1. Neerja Bhanot was the daughter of Rama Bhanot and Harish Bhanot. She was born in Chandigarh, India and brought up in Mumbai, India.
2. Neerja completed high school from Bombay Scottish School and graduated from St. Xavier's College.
3. Before becoming an air hostess, Neerja was a famous model and appeared in many print and TV commercial advertisements. She was just 16, when she was first spotted for a modelling assignment.
4. At the age of 21, Neerja got married and after marriage, she moved abroad with her husband. She came back to India because her marriage didn't work out.
5. She was a cheerful, loving person and her family members lovingly called her 'Laado'.
6. Neerja applied for the position of a flight attendant with Pan Am and upon selection, she went to Miami, Florida for training as a flight attendant and returned as a chief flight attendant.
7. She was shot only hours before her 23rd birthday.
8. She received the Ashoka Chakra Award, India's most prestigious gallantry award for bravery, posthumously.
9. She is the youngest recipient and the first woman recipient of the Ashoka Chakra Award.
10. In Ghatkopar, Mumbai, there's a square named after her called Neerja Bhanot Chowk.