- 49 min ago Karwa Chauth 2019: This Karwa Chauth Spruce Up Your Look With These Stunning Hairstyles
- 1 hr ago Happy Birthday Hema Malini: Five Times Dream Girl Inspired Us With Her Gorgeous Saris
- 1 hr ago Esther Duflo Wins Her Nobel As An Economist And Not As Abhijit Banerjee's Wife
- 3 hrs ago World Food Day 2019: History And How It Is Celebrated
- Movies Sarileru Neekevvaru's Teaser To Release On Deepavali?
- Technology Vodafone Offering Double Data Benefits With Its Prepaid Plan
- Automobiles 2020 Tata Nexon Spied Testing Ahead Of Launch In India: Spy Pics & Details
- Sports ISL 2019-20: Mumbai City FC Team preview: Strength, weakness, squad, key players, stats, prediction
- News Ayodhya Case: Drama in SC as senior counsel tears papers, CJI threatens to walk out
- Finance Ensure This Condition Is Met As Else Your EPF Interest Will Not Be Credited
- Travel 8 Romantic Getaways Near Mumbai: From Hill Sations To Beaches
- Education Why Is World Students' Day Celebrated On APJ Abdul Kalam's Birthday?
He was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on 19 June 1934. In case you are wondering why Google created Doodle on 1 October this year to honour Dr Herbert David Kleber, it is because on this day, 23 years back, he was elected as a member of the prestigious Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, a volunteer organization which provides health and medical-related advice.
A renowned American psychiatrist, this man dedicated more than half of his life in studying substance abuse and finding the possible treatments so that it can counter or at least reduce the impact of withdrawal in the patients.
Dr Kleber attended Dartmouth College and studied pre-med and it is there that he developed his passion for psychology.
What inspired him to take this as a life's mission is when he was assigned to the Public Health Service Prison Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. This was after he completed his psychiatric residency at Yale University.
Unlike his peers, he never saw addiction as a moral failure, rather he believed it is a condition that can be treated if proper research is done followed by medication and therapy.
Soon, he came up with a method which Dr Kleber called "evidence-based treatment" that completely depended on science and research. His method became so popular that it gained recognition from US President George H W Bush.
At the Office of National Drug Control Policy, he was appointed as the Deputy Director for Demand Reduction. Dr Kleber wrote various papers on substance abuse and he has also founded various centres.
At the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Dr Kleber and his then-wife Dr Marian W Fischman also established the Division on Substance Abuse, which later became one of the largest and most successful research programs on substance abuse in that country. He also co-founded the National Centre on Addiction and Substance Abuse.
It is sad that he passed away last year on 5 October 2018, but his work in the field of drug abuse will be remembered forever.