- 3 min ago Daily Horoscope: 13 August 2020
- 8 hrs ago From Banana To Milk, Ginger To Water: Foods That Help Get Rid Of Headaches Quickly
- 11 hrs ago Sanjana Sanghi’s Stylish Pink Suits Will Have You Thinking About Pink Outfits
- 11 hrs ago Independence Day 2020: Significance Of Tricolours In Our National Flag
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In West Bengal In August
- Technology Reliance Digital Independence Day 2020 Sale: Great Deals And Offers On Gadgets
- Sports Champions League: Atalanta 1-2 Paris Saint-Germain: Choupo-Moting completes stunning late comeback
- Movies Mohanlal Tests Negative For COVID-19: Resumes Shooting!
- News India, Nepal to hold senior level dialogue on Aug 17 after a nine-month hiatus
- Automobiles Pioneer Launch TS-WX3000T Tube Subwoofer From Champion Series: Priced At Rs 9,990
- Finance 'PM SVANidhi' Scheme For Street Vendors Receives Over 5 Lakh Applications
- Education Kargil Vijay Diwas Quotes In English For Students
Every year, on 29 September, World Heart Day is celebrated which aims at raising awareness about cardiovascular diseases, including heart disease and stroke. The World Heart Day 2019 theme is 'My Heart, Your Heart', which ensures heart health equity for all.
This year, the World Heart Federation focuses on creating a global community of heart heroes - people from all walks of life who are preparing now to live longer, better, heart-healthy lives by making a promise which includes the following:
- A promise to families to cook and eat healthy food.
- A promise to children to make them more physically active and stop them from smoking.
- A promise as a healthcare professional to help patients in reducing their cholesterol levels and give up smoking.
- A promise as a policymaker to abide by policies that promote healthy hearts.
- A promise as an employee to build a heart-healthy workplace.
History Of World Heart Day
World Heart Day is an initiative of the World Heart Federation, founded in 2000. World Heart Federation (WHF) is a non-governmental organization based in Geneva, Switzerland. The members of the World Heart Federation are actively involved in the celebration in order to spread the information of premature deaths from heart disease.
In this campaign, there are many collaborators of the World Heart Federation, including several major organizations like the Indian Heart Association.
Significance Of World Heart Day
World Heart Day is a campaign established to spread awareness about keeping the heart healthy among people throughout the world.
World Heart Day informs people around the world that cardiovascular diseases, including stroke and heart disease, are the world's leading cause of death claiming 17.9 million lives every year.
It also focuses on the actions that people can take to prevent and control cardiovascular diseases by controlling risk factors like unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, etc. This could avoid 80% of premature deaths from heart disease and stroke.
Cardiovascular disease accounts for nearly half of all non-communicable diseases deaths, making it the number one cause of death globally.
In May 2012, the world leaders planned to reduce global mortality from non-communicable diseases by 25% by 2025.