- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 03 December 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 8 hrs ago 'AmTrue,' A Safe Menstrual Cup For Women, Was Awarded The International Glory Awards 2022
- 10 hrs ago New Treatment For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Could Provide Lasting Relief Without Surgery
- 11 hrs ago Here Are Some Tips To Help You Achieve Natural-Looking And Fuller Eyebrows
- Sports Pakistan will pull out of Asia Cup if tournament shifts due to India objection: Ramiz Raja
- Education JELET, JENPAS, JECA, JEMAS 2023 Schedule Notified at wbjeeb.nic.in, Check Tentative Schedule Here
- Finance Top 7 Govt-Owned Stocks That Hit Their New 52-Week High
- Movies Hit 2 Day 1 Box Office Collection: Adivi Sesh's HITverse Crime Thriller Begins On A Grand Note!
- News KCR's daughter Kavitha gets CBI summons in Delhi liquor scam
- Travel 7 Insane but True Things About Travel You Never Realized
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Sales Report November 2022 - Sales Up By 14.26%
- Technology Redmi 11A Could Soon Replace The Redmi 10A; Spotted On IMDA, TENAA
Are you someone who has been called clumsy a lot? Even if you try hard, you just can't seem to hold on to that bottle/cup in your hand, and you just end up dropping it? Well, a recent study has found a link between low grip strength weakness and accelerated DNA ageing .
Let's check it out.
Loss Of Grip Strength And Premature Ageing: What Is The Link?
Here are the important points from the study:
- An investigation conducted at the University of Michigan's Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor, MI, has shown that grip strength in a person's hands is a biomarker of biological age.
- Researchers have long considered grip strength to be a biomarker of ageing. However, few studies have been conducted to investigate the biological mechanism(s) by which weakness contributes to adverse health outcomes (including mortality) .
- Increased grip strength may be related to lifestyle factors such as exercise and a healthy diet. On the negative side, weaker grip strength is likely associated with obesity-related chronic conditions, other noncommunicable diseases, and sedentary lifestyles.
- The new study compared grip strength values to three epigenetic clocks, the algorithms of which are trained on various health outcomes, such as PhenoAge (predicts multiple ageing outcomes including mortality, cancer, lifespan, physical function, and Alzheimer's disease), GrimAge (morbidity and mortality risk) and DunedinPoAm (measures the rate of ageing in cardiovascular, metabolic, renal, hepatic, pulmonary, periodontal and immune functions) .
- The participants in the study were aged 50 and over when data collection began in 2006 and 2008, and they were followed for eight to ten years - allowing the results to be considered authentic.
- The analysis found that decreasing grip strength coincided strongly with all three clocks, although there were differences between men and women.
- The relationship between muscle strength and epigenetic ageing is likely related to the mechanisms that regulate general health.
- The correlation between muscle weakness and testosterone deficiency among young and older men was strong and independently associated with multimorbidity .
- According to the researchers, there is no plausible reason to believe that increasing grip strength alone would promote health or longevity.
- Increasing grip strength would not have any effect on health or longevity as it is merely an indicator of muscle strength, which means it is highly correlated with other measures of muscle strength.
On A Final Note...
In addition, the researchers noted that activities that improve overall strength capacity and promote healthy weight maintenance are well known to promote healthy ageing and longevity. Such lifestyle interventions include aerobic exercise, strength training, and a healthy diet.
- diet fitnessBenefits Of Pranayama: This Yoga That Can Reverse Molecular Mechanism Of Skin Aging
- wellnessWhy Do We Feel Lonely As We Age? Study Explains Reasons
- parents and childrenEffective Ways To Make Your Home Safer For Ageing Family Members
- disorders cureCognitive Impairment From Severe Covid-19 Similar To 20 Years Of Ageing: Study
- skin careHow To Improve Firmness Of Your Skin As You Age: 10-Point Guide For Everyone Over 35
- wellnessExpert Article: Ageing Is Not The Only Cause For Arthritis Of The Joint; Read About The Other Causes
- wellness11 Evidence-Based Health Benefits Of Arjuna
- wellnessBarley Tea: Health Benefits, Side Effects And How To Prepare
- wellnessWhat Happens To Your Hands When You Age?
- skin careWorried About Skin Ageing? Try These Fabulous Homemade Anti-Ageing Packs To Get Youthful Skin
- skin careThe Best Anti-Ageing Beauty Hacks That You Must Try
- skin careDIY Anti-Ageing Creams For Youthful Skin