- 4 hrs ago Auspicious Hindu Wedding Dates In The Month Of June 2020
- 5 hrs ago How To Make All -Natural And Safe Homemade Face Mask For Kids
- 7 hrs ago Preeclampsia: Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Diagnosis & Treatment
- 7 hrs ago Heartbreak Alert! 11 Signs He Is Pretending To Be Interested In You
- Movies Here’s Why Aamir Khan Lost Faith In Award Functions; Revealed The Reason Behind Disliking Them
- News Earthquake of 4.6 magnitude hits Delhi-NCR, epicentre in Haryana
- Sports Vanuatu T10 Super League 2020: MyTeam11 Fantasy Tips: Mighty Efate Panthers vs Ifira Sharks
- Automobiles Suzuki Gixxer 250 & SF 250 BS6 Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 1.63 Lakh
- Technology BSNL Offering 2GB Data Per Day For One Year With Rs. 899 Plan
- Finance Core Sector Output Slumps 38.1% As Covid-19 Takes A Toll
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In North India In June
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
So much has been talked about the symptoms of coronavirus and their appearance. By now, you know that fever, shortness of breath and dry cough are the typical symptoms of novel coronavirus. A dry cough is very easy to detect. But what does dry cough mean and how is it different from wet cough? We will explain.
Difference Between Dry Cough And Wet Cough
What Is A Dry Cough?
According to NHS, "A dry cough means it's tickly and doesn't produce any phlegm (thick mucus)". A dry cough is also known as non-productive cough which causes irritation such as a scratchy or ticklish sensation in the throat due to the inflammation in the respiratory tract.
The most common causes of dry cough are asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), viral infection, postnasal drip and the less common causes are environmental irritants, whooping cough, ACE inhibitors, lung cancer and heart failure.
What Is A Wet Cough?
As per the NHS, "A chesty cough means phlegm is produced to help clear your airways". A chesty or wet cough, also known as productive cough is a type of cough that brings the mucus up to the throat and while coughing, you can hear the gurgling noise.
Wet cough is often caused by bacteria or viruses, which cause cold or flu. If you have a persistent wet cough, it can be due to bronchitis, pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma and cystic fibrosis.
What Do The Studies Say?
A study published in the journal The Lancet found that 36 children were infected with coronavirus. Thirteen children had fever and seven children had dry cough .
According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, as of 20 February 2020, based on 55924 confirmed cases, the typical signs and symptoms are fever (87.9 per cent) and dry cough (67.7 per cent).
Coronavirus Scare: When Should You Consult A Doctor?
If you have been suffering from a dry cough and suspect of coronavirus infection, you should consult a doctor immediately.
What Is The Current Scenario Of Coronavirus Cases?
Till date, positive cases of coronavirus have climbed up to 1,119,109 and 58,955 deaths have occurred worldwide as per Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Coronavirus Resource Center.