The moment you hear of gonorrhoea, you relate it to a sexually transmitted infection (STI), but did you know that it also spreads through oral sex. Yes, experts have warned that Gonorrhea can spread from an infected person's throat during oral sex.
Recently, World Health Organization have confirmed of three cases of 'super gonorrhoea' worldwide that have failed to respond to any kind of treatment.
In most of the gonorrhoea infections cases in the throat we tend to overlook them as the bacteria typically resides there in smaller numbers than in the genitals.
Meanwhile yet another complications associated with oral infections is that, they are difficult to treat as antibiotics work in the bloodstream and there are few blood vessels in the throat.
One needs be very careful and get it treated on time as if left untreated, oral gonorrhoea can spread to the genitals, causing pelvic and testicular pain in men, pelvic inflammatory disease in women and even leads to infertility.
Listed here are few facts about gonorrhoea you need to know. Check them out.
- Gonorrhoea is a STI caused by bacterium known as Neisseria gonorrhoea. It is often referred to as 'the clap'.
- Burning sensation while urinating, green, white, or yellow discharge from the penis and painful or swollen testicles are few of the symptoms among men.
- Pain during urination, increased vaginal bleeding and discharge between periods and the inability to have children are few of the symptoms among women.
- In serious cases of gonorrhoea it can affect the heart valves, arthritis and also eye infections, especially in babies born infected mother.
- Antibiotics are used to treat gonorrhoea. It is always better to abstain from sexual intercourse until the treatment is completed as this will reduce the spread of infection.