- 11 hrs ago World Osteoporosis Day 2019: Date, Theme And History
- 14 hrs ago Bacterial Vaginosis: Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Diagnosis, Treatment & Prevention
- 15 hrs ago So, Here Are Some Bollywood Fashion Scoops Of The Day For Outfits Inspiration
- 15 hrs ago Diwali 2019: Let Bollywood Divas Inspire You To Wear Gorgeous Light Festive Outfits
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Elimination: Shocking! Mahira Sharma Safe; Abu Or Dey - Who Might Get Evicted?
- News Maharashtra polls: Rs 142 crore cash, 975 weapons seized so far
- Sports Premier League Review: Alli saves Spurs as Chelsea and Leicester City march on
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco Becomes Safer: Receives A Price Increase
- Finance 5 Stocks That Rose The Most This Week
- Travel 8 Amazing and Affordable Winter Vacation Destinations In India
- Technology BSNL Might Bring Cable TV, Broadband, Landline Services Under One Bill: Report
- Education 5 Things Students Should Know About MHRD Internship Scheme
Most of us tend to feel rather embarrassed when we burp in public; however, did you know that burps can have certain health significances? Well, here are some facts for you to know.
Imagine you are in the middle of a meeting or on a date, and you suddenly let out a loud burp, you unwillingly become the center of attention!
Although burping is quite a normal and healthy phenomenon, when it comes to etiquettes, it is considered to be rather rude to let out loud burps!
Burping, also known as belching, is the process where the air or gas is released from the stomach and oesophagus through our mouths.
Belching can be voluntary or involuntary. Belching about 3-4 times, after a meal, is considered to be normal.
However, if your burps are too frequent, painful, or if they are coupled with acid reflux, then there is definitely a reason for concern.
So, here is a list of health facts on burping that you must know about, have a look.
There is a disorder known as supragastric belching, in which the patients swallow a large amount of air unconsciously that results in frequent belching. Behavioural therapy is used as a treatment for this disorder.
There is another condition known as gastroparesis, where the stomach muscles become paralyzed partially and cannot empty the food completely, resulting in frequent belching.
People can also develop a burping disorder if they have problems with swallowing food due to a sore throat or other ailments related to the throat.
If you notice that your burp has a foul odour to it, it could mean that you are suffering from indigestion, so consult your doctor as soon as possible!
If frequent burping is associated with unexplained weight loss and loss of appetite, it could be a sign of oesophageal cancer, as a tumor in the oesophagus can also cause belching.
Frequent burping can also be one of the signs of acid reflux; and if left untreated for too long, it could lead to stomach ulcers.
In some cases, people who have had internal stomach surgeries, and have parts of their intestines removed, may not be able to burp at all!