- 16 hrs ago Cancer Centre Successfully Initiates Neuro-Monitoring Technique For Spinal Cord Surgery, A First In Mumbai
- 21 hrs ago Happy Parents Day 2021: Wishes, Images, Quotes, Status To Share With Your Parents
- 1 day ago Tokyo Olympics 2020: Know About India's Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Who Won Silver Medal In Weightlifting
- 1 day ago Kriti Sanon Looks Fresh And Radiant In Her Vibrant Orange Dress; Take A Look At Her Orange Eye Shadow Too!
- Technology Amazon Prime Day Sale 2021: Discount Offer On Top Trending Smartphones
- Movies Veteran Actress Savita Bajaj, Who Was In Dire Need Of Financial Help, Gets Discharged From Hospital
- Sports India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I: Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Suryakumar Yadav star in India's 38-run win over Sri Lanka
- News PM Modi cleared roadblocks to NE peace, development: Amit Shah
- Finance 3 Best Performing And High-Rated Gilt Funds To Start SIP In 2021
- Education CGBSE 12th Marksheet: Check CG 12th Result Name Wise And Roll Number
- Automobiles Piaggio Ape HT Three-Wheelers Launched In India At Rs 2.24 Lakh: Cargo & Passenger CNG Available
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In August
You skipped your breakfast, and it is almost lunchtime now, and your stomach is playing a Norwegian Metal song - all you can think of is, FOOD! And when this type of extreme hunger hits, we all tend to eat in a very irresponsible way.
Eating too little or skipping meals can lead us to overeat. We might end up indulging in high-calorie snack, and at most times, results in vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea, and in some cases, food poisoning. That is because your gastrointestinal (GI) tract can become more sensitive to certain types of foods if you've been running on empty for a while.
However, that doesn't mean that all foods are bad when you are extremely hungry, there are some, and we have listed them here in this article. Take a look.
Foods NOT TO Eat When You Are Extremely Hungry
Loaded with various nutrients, the green fruit helps lower cholesterol levels, regulate blood sugar, protect the eyes, promote fertility, improve cognitive function, enhance digestive health and may help prevent the onset of osteoarthritis . But eating avocado on an empty stomach, especially when you haven't had any meal before, is not good for you. The fat content in avocados digests very slowly and may trigger reflux in some people.
2. Raw Vegetables
Vegetables are naturally beneficial for your overall health. Still, raw vegetables on an empty stomach are something you should totally avoid. They can leave you feeling too full and may even lead to blood sugar dips later in the day . Fibrous vegetables can become hard to digest and can cause gas and bloating.
3. Fruit (Large Portions)
While eating a single banana or an apple may be okay on an empty stomach, eating a large portion of fruit (simple sugar) will cause your blood glucose to rise suddenly and then leave you feeling tired and hungry again in 30-60 minutes . The acidity in fruits can cause acid reflux as well.
4. Energy Bars
Energy bars can give you energy but not when you eat them on an empty stomach. These health bars can be heavy on an empty stomach, causing gas and discomfort as your body attempts to digest the food .
5. Protein Shakes
Most protein shakes contain whey, which, when consumed on an empty stomach, can cause side effects such as bloating, cramps and diarrhoea.
6. Red Meat
Red meat is rich in protein, meaning that it takes a lot of time for our bodies to digest it. Eating red meat on an empty stomach will cause your body to work extra (breaking down the proteins), resulting in stomach distress, as well as feelings of excessive fullness .
Drinking coffee on an empty stomach in the morning can result in your body, releasing hydrochloric acid inside your digestive system, increasing acidity and resulting in digestive problems .
Of course, it is not surprising that chips are on this list of foods not to be consumed on an empty stomach. Be it baked or fried, the salt in chips is not good for your digestion when you haven't had food in some time.
There is a common misconception that chewing gum can make you feel satiated or help you take your mind off eating food. When you chew gum on an empty stomach, it causes the production of gastric juice and thereby causing stomach pain and nausea .
List of other foods that you should not be eating when extremely hungry as mentioned below:
- Diet soda
- Spicy foods
- Orange juice
On A Final Note...
When you skip meals and eat after a gap of time, keep in mind to go easy on your stomach and GI tract-Munch on some trail mix that contains nuts and something sweet, a banana or some dates.