- 18 min ago Microcytic Anemia: Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Treatment, And Prevention
- 9 hrs ago Sebaceous Horn (Devil’s Horn): Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Treatment, And Prevention
- 10 hrs ago Exclusive: Fashion Guru Prasad Bidapa Shares The Secret For Glowing And Flawless Skin
- 10 hrs ago Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Kareena Kapoor Khan, And Other Best And Worst Dressed Celebs Of This Week
- Sports IBSF World Billiards Championship: World title no. 22 for Pankaj Advani
- News Godavari boat capsize: Rescue efforts on war-footing; Navy choppers, NDRF teams deployed
- Technology Tata Sky On WhatsApp: Check Balance, Add Packs And More
- Movies Sai Pallavi's Childhood Photo That Left A Cute Little Smile On The Faces Of Her Fans!
- Automobiles Tata Motors Announces Discounts & Benefits Of Up To Rs 1.50 Lakh On Select Models
- Finance Govt Employees Will Get Housing Advance At Lower Interest Rates
- Education HSSC Clerk Admit Card 2019 Released
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
Concord grapes were first cultivated in Concord in Massachusetts, United States, around 170 years ago. Their skins, which are thick and purple, are the healthiest part of the fruit. The seeds of this fruit are large and highly aromatic.
Concord grapes are rich in essential nutrients. They are commonly used to prepare juice, wines, pies, soft drinks, and jellies. Due to their numerous health benefits, they are often regarded as a 'super fruit'. In the year 2011, the US produced more than 4 Lakh tonnes of Concord grapes.
Nutritional Value Of Concord Grapes
100 g of Concord grapes contain 353 kcal. Other nutrients present in Concord grapes are as follows:
- 3.92 g protein
- 82.35 g carbohydrate
- 7.8 g fibre
- 667 mg potassium
- 59 mg sodium
- 10 mg calcium
Health Benefits Of Concord Grapes
1. Improve heart health: Concord grapes contain flavonoids that improve blood fluidity. Another compound resveratrol (polyphenol) helps in relaxing the arteries allowing proper circulation of blood in the heart  .
2. Prevent oxidative stress: The antioxidant property of Concord grapes help in preventing several chronic diseases  .
3. Improve the immunity: The phytonutrients and micronutrients found in Concord grapes help in keeping the immune system strong to fight against several diseases  .
4. Improve brain health: Certain degenerative diseases like dementia and Alzheimer's affect our memory. Consumption of Concord grapes helps in improving our brain function and memory  .
5. Reduce the risk of breast cancer: Resveratrol, a kind of polyphenol in Concord grapes, help in reducing the risk of breast cancer in women  .
6. Delay ageing: The high amount of antioxidants in Concord grapes can help in delaying ageing. They make the skin shine and are also beneficial for the hair  .
7. Possess anti-inflammatory properties: The polyphenols present in Concord grapes help in reducing the inflammatory response of the body  .
Side Effects Of Concord Grapes
Resveratrol in Concord grapes can interact with certain medications like blood thinners and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and cause possible side effects.
Healthy Concord Grapes Juice Recipe
- 7-8 pounds freshly picked grapes
- A large pot
- A large cheesecloth
- Clean and de-stem the grapes.
- Mash the grapes with a potato masher in a bowl.
- Pour the mashed grapes in a large pot.
- On medium flame, heat the grapes and stir occasionally.
- In the process, mash the mixture as much as possible.
- Strain the mixture in a juice glass with a cheesecloth.
- Enjoy the healthy Concord grape juice.
-  2. Blumberg, J. B., Vita, J. A., & Chen, C. Y. (2015). Concord Grape Juice Polyphenols and Cardiovascular Risk Factors: Dose-Response Relationships. Nutrients, 7(12), 10032–10052. doi:10.3390/nu7125519
-  1. O'Byrne, D. J., Devaraj, S., Grundy, S. M., & Jialal, I. (2002). Comparison of the antioxidant effects of Concord grape juice flavonoids α-tocopherol on markers of oxidative stress in healthy adults. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 76(6), 1367-1374.
-  3. Percival, S. S. (2009). Grape consumption supports immunity in animals and humans. The Journal of nutrition, 139(9), 1801S-1805S.
-  4. Haskell-Ramsay, C. F., Stuart, R. C., Okello, E. J., & Watson, A. W. (2017). Cognitive and mood improvements following acute supplementation with purple grape juice in healthy young adults. European journal of nutrition, 56(8), 2621–2631. doi:10.1007/s00394-017-1454-7
-  5. Zhou, K., & Raffoul, J. J. (2012). Potential anticancer properties of grape antioxidants. Journal of oncology, 2012, 803294. doi:10.1155/2012/803294
-  6. Krikorian, R., Boespflug, E. L., Fleck, D. E., Stein, A. L., Wightman, J. D., Shidler, M. D., & Sadat-Hossieny, S. (2012). Concord grape juice supplementation and neurocognitive function in human aging. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 60(23), 5736-5742.
-  7. Krikorian, R., Nash, T. A., Shidler, M. D., Shukitt-Hale, B., & Joseph, J. A. (2010). Concord grape juice supplementation improves memory function in older adults with mild cognitive impairment. British journal of nutrition, 103(5), 730-734.